Saw Conversion ( a bit of a different project )

Started by STRIPER LOU, April 05, 2016, 12:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi All, just finished this project up and it came out pretty well. Hopefully you will find it somewhat interesting and it doesn't bore you.

I needed a Horizontal/Vertical metal cutting saw. 2 problems ... lack of space and lack of funds! A decent saw was in the $800. range.  Ain't gonna happen!

Poked around online and saw a few portable metal cutting saws that were converted into a h/v saw but not much for capacity and they looked awkward! A quick run thru my antiquated modeling program confirmed that I was correct. Also finding something US made was fruitless.
The closest being a Milwaukee that was made in Mexico and assembled here in the US.

A trip to Ebay showed a few neat Benchtop cutoff saws with an optional table for use as a bandsaw. Pretty stiff price and again looked a bit awkward. Downloaded the manual from a couple of them and tried to plug them into the modeling program with poor results. The best I could figure is due to the angle and the fact that most of the mounts were made so several inches of the saw extended beyond the base, it either had to be hung off the end or raised up. Also looked like the saw in the vertical position could be very tipsy and dangerous if not bolted down. This was an issue for me as I wanted the portability.

I can understand why they were done that way because it enabled them to use the saw, whether vertical or horizontal all from the same mount or pivot. And that would save money.

Came across this Klutch brand from Northern Tool. Looked really good in the pics and I managed to find a discount coupon online! There was nothing  available from Klutch to convert to the vertical position for using it as a bandsaw.

Took a chance and figured I could come up with something to make it happen. Surprisingly the saw looked great, nice construction, nicely finished and had a beast for a motor, 1000 watts, = 1 1/3 hp with variable speed.
Had the idea of making a baseplate and using the saws vise to hold it. I raised the saw about 2 3/4 inches to be able to bring the saw forward enough so it was comfortable to use. I new that this would make it even more tipsy so I made the adapter long enough so I could add an outrigger front and back for stability.

Sorry for the long wind!!! Didn't have much luck trying to model it so I made a few templates to prove it out.
Saw works great! 6 screws and about 5 minutes to change from horizontal to vertical. Base adapter 3/4 x 5 x 14 aluminum, table 1/4 x 12 x 12 hot roll steel and the front leg was made from 3/4 finish plywood.
Wanted to make it out of aluminum but at $45. for the piece I had to pass. This saw is definitely not to be confused with the little 1/3 hp wood bandsaws you see for a $150. This is the real deal metal cutting saw!

If you have any interest in something like this I saved all the templates.

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

STRIPER LOU

More............

STRIPER LOU

And the last 2......

anglingarchitect

Three se7ens

Great job!  That saw looks like a perfect candidate for what you did.  And readily available blades is a huge plus. 

Im on the verge of needing a new saw, but Im torn between a bigger bandsaw or a cold cut saw.

anglingarchitect

Three se7ens

Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 05, 2016, 02:57:36 AM
whats a cold cut saw?

mark

Looks like a chop saw/abrasive cutoff saw, but very heavy duty, and uses a slow turning (50-130 rpm) high speed steel blade.  The cut looks machined, and can easily hold a tolerance of just a few thousandths. 

STRIPER LOU

Cleaning up the shop and I still have the templates for this conversion if anyone wants them. Really makes a nice compact multi-use saw. If interested please let me know or its out to the trash this weekend.
Thanks,  ..  Lou

PS   This Clutch brand even though imported for Northern Tool is very nice quality. Looks like they have a whole lineup of goodies under the Clutch name. There's also a $25.00 coupon available online from Northern!   

David Hall

swill88

Quote from: Three se7ens on April 05, 2016, 03:06:17 AM
Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 05, 2016, 02:57:36 AM
whats a cold cut saw?

mark

Looks like a chop saw/abrasive cutoff saw, but very heavy duty, and uses a slow turning (50-130 rpm) high speed steel blade.  The cut looks machined, and can easily hold a tolerance of just a few thousandths. 

my Milwaukee cutoff saw is 1500 rpm.  Carbide tipped blade.  Clean cuts in bar stock steel.

no bad smell like with the carborundum blades

STRIPER LOU

That's a very serious piece of equipment!!!!