New member/reel junkie :)

Started by Regor, February 21, 2011, 06:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regor

Hello all,

Been fishing for a while, back east in Pa growing up, and now in SoCal. Fresh and Saltwater via shore and Kayak.

I have plenty of new gear, but I also have many a reel just sitting around since they were passed on to me after my father-in-law passed 14 years ago.

Needless to say, I'm here to learn from the great site and many posts.

What will I be rebuilding:
Penn 65
Penn Delmar 285

Ocean City 112
Ocean City 905

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard!
Ahhhh, some of the old classics. The Penns and OC112 will be good for light bottom fishing or just-for-fun reels. Haven't seen the 905.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Steve-O

Welcome, you have landed in the right spot for your fix! It's a great feeling to put new life in those old classics and get them on the water again.

Steve-O

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Are these reels worth fixing and selling?  Probably got a good sized bin of old reels that basically need drag upgrades.  Hate to part out perfectly good, working reels, but has limited drag and would only be good to use mono or dacron lines. What do you guys think?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

I overhauled a friend's 285 and an Ocean City, I believe it was a 112, and used 6-60 washers in them; at least in the 285 Delmar. He's passed on now so I don't have access to the reels to check.
Rob

Regor

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2011, 08:35:59 PM
Are these reels worth fixing and selling?  Probably got a good sized bin of old reels that basically need drag upgrades.  Hate to part out perfectly good, working reels, but has limited drag and would only be good to use mono or dacron lines. What do you guys think?

These particular reels won't be sold. Since they came from my father-in-law (deceased), and are probably upwards of 30+ years old I'll be restoring the Penns for personal use as reels for my sabiki rod or light rockfish. I'll probably restore or clean up the Ocean City reels and place them on the shelf in the house.

Of course, once I finish these reels, I can see where the bug would set in and I'd pursue restoring other reels (since I'm purchasing materials anyway)  :)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 21, 2011, 08:35:59 PM
Are these reels worth fixing and selling?  Probably got a good sized bin of old reels that basically need drag upgrades.  Hate to part out perfectly good, working reels, but has limited drag and would only be good to use mono or dacron lines. What do you guys think?

You're right on, Bryan. I have a Penn 60 with 20# mono and an 85 with 15# mono in my "excess" bin, as backups or if someone visiting needs to borrow a rig to do some light-duty bottom fishing. Besides, just looking at them and thinking about being "state-of-the-art" back in their day brings a smile.

After I rehab any reel, I catch a rockfish or two on it to prove it still works, then set it aside for its intended use. I get some strange looks using a 6/0 Senator for 3# rockfish! ;)
Rob