makaira 16 opinions

Started by tacklerat, April 06, 2016, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklerat

Hi guys,

Greetings from Australia, was after honest opinions on the std gold makaira 16 version. Looking to add one to my current set of game reels and am after some feedback on this particular size.
I am running several bigger versions and all have been great. I am looking at all the 16 sized reels at the moment and keeping my options open. Thanks in advance for any valid opinions.

Regards Tacklerat  ;)

johndtuttle

I don't think anyone as found a true negative about the Mak's yet in any way shape or form other than weight as compared to other lever drag reels.

But for their true big game capability that is no sin.  ;D

handi2

In the small reels I have the 16 and 20. I don't like the 20 anymore because of the width. The 16 is perfect in the hand and easy to fish with.

Tuna in the 30 to 50lb range are a blast!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Quote from: handi2 on April 08, 2016, 12:08:06 AM
In the small reels I have the 16 and 20. I don't like the 20 anymore because of the width. The 16 is perfect in the hand and easy to fish with.

I agree, the 20's are used here on the west coast a one would use a 30 from other manufactures. Primarily the 20's are a 80 lb test reel, of course spectra backed, and fit that line class well for our type of fishing. Mostly trolling and a picky bite bait reel where you will find 100 lb plus tuna,

The 16's are fine reels and since you already know the Makaira line tacklerat I don't think you will be disappointed at all with a 16.

tacklerat

Sounds good guys. Just ordered one today. Will complete my collection I reckon. Thanks for the positive feedback .
Cheers

MarkT

That's because the Mak 20 is pretty much the size of someone else's 30! I use my 16 Sea for 80# and the 20 Sea for 100#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

tacklerat

Definitely agree the 20 MK is comparable to a std 30 of other brands. Great reel in its own right depending on application.

shanara

The 16 is about the same width as a 20 and is only 4 ounces less in weight ( the 20 is obviously about an extra 1/2 inch bigger in diamiter and holds just over 25% more line

I have them both and like them a lot (but wish the 16 was a 20 for the type of fishing I do)

tacklerat

I will be running my 16 MK along side a penn 16 vs. Just wondered if the makaira is alot bigger in size to the penn. Thanks in advance. Cheers

handi2

While I was working in the shop my son came in and asked "what do you want to spool this with".

He had a brand new Makaira 30II in his hand I forgot I bought..!!

It was spooled with 50lb hollow to 50lb mono. All spliced in. He is a whiz at splicing and making top shots.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

I have 100# Threadlock spectra on both my 16 and 20. The 20 steps up to 130# spectra for the last 30 yds. I go with a loop to loop for the topshot.

tacklerat

Hi guys. There is a supply issue here on a 16 size. Ended up re ordering a 15 size. Hopefully no issues on getting one. Anyone running a 15 size?

MarkT

Quote from: handi2 on April 08, 2016, 12:08:06 AM

The 16 and 20 are basically the same width! The 20 is taller so the 16 would be easier to Palm. The 30 is a wider 20.

alantani

i have a mak 20II and a mak 50II.  the 16II is next on the list.  i will be fishing 80, 100 and 130 pound topshots with these reels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tacklerat

Also noticed the makaira 8 and 16 are not listed as available over here in Australia. Will try to find out more to see about availability . Have topshot most of mine too Alan. Cheers