Sierras are hungry and angry on San Felipe Baja, mex

Started by steelfish, April 07, 2016, 01:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

we had a beautifil day this past Sunday, we had a call from our fishing guide that sierras were hungry and angry, so we checked the weather for the next weekend and it was perfect.

we have a beautiful morning in the Marina with our plans to go directly to the Consag Island.

few miles ahead we saw the Island bit closer and outside the marina the sea was calm too

soon we where aside the rock, and those sea birds were a good sign of fishing

another sign of a good day of fishing were the school of sardines, I wish my camera have polarized lenses as my sunglasses have, but if you look closer you will see in the middle of the pic the school of sardines

and we got our rods ready for testing the waters trolling some deep diving lures

but the sea lions were also ready and they were F&^& hungry

but there were plenty of sierras for the sea lions and for us too, here are a double hook set, if you look closer you will see two lures and two fishes hanguing from the hands of the fishing guide

they were eating the trolling lures and 3oz Kroc spoons, it was awesome to catch them on the calcutta 400TE, 50# braid and a 60# steel leader.. fun fun, beautiful colors on the Sierra right?  almost too green like a Dorado

perfect picture, no blodydecks on a panga, but what about a bloody icecooler?
we had out limits at noon

our captain had a busy day unhooking the fish

this is when we called it a day and were heading for the harbor

on our way back to the marina we stopped shortly on the sunked boat zone, which its located in the very front on the town just few miles from the shore... we caught some big and fatty croakers

it was a really great day on the water with some of my close friends.

The Baja Guy

Marcq

johndtuttle

Strong work Compadre!  Sierra are great fighters, pound for pound. ;)

Sierra are also great eating.  :)

anglingarchitect

DaBigOno

That looks a funner than the day I had at work  ???

Thanks for the report, I always enjoy pics of fishing stuff...

Peace compa!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

SoCalAngler

Nice looking sierra carnal, es muy bueno pescado. Time for a little cevieche or do you like them cooked better? No chicos ahi.

Shark Hunter

Looks like a Great Day Alex. ;)
I have to agree with Al. A lot more fun that I had at work.  ::)
Your Captain unhooking that fish has a striking resemblance to John Belushi.
Thanks for taking us along.
Daron
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 07, 2016, 04:44:57 AM

Your Captain unhooking that fish has a striking resemblance to John Belushi.

LOL you're right

Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 07, 2016, 01:50:56 AM
Don't have much Ice in those places do they.
??? ice ??  as snow and ice from the cold weather or Ice cube for the ice cooler?

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 07, 2016, 04:13:49 AM
Nice looking sierra carnal, es muy bueno pescado. Time for a little cevieche or do you like them cooked better? No chicos ahi.
Sierras are good eating on whatever style do could think.. ceviche, sashimi, meatballs/soup (my favorite), fish tacos or directly to the frying pan with just bit of butter, pepper and salt.

thanks guys, I really needed to be on the water and have a nice day like this it was.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Good for you guys.  I was down in Cabo and we got 9 red snapper for a full day of fishing.  We trolled for Marlin but the water was too rough for Marlin up top.  Switched to live bait down low, still no action.  That's fishing.  Going back in June.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on April 07, 2016, 06:19:23 PM
Good for you guys.  I was down in Cabo and we got 9 red snapper for a full day of fishing.  We trolled for Marlin but the water was too rough for Marlin up top.  Switched to live bait down low, still no action.  That's fishing.  Going back in June.  Dominick

yep, totally understand, this time we were lucky, 3 weeks ago we were after some big white seabass that came to the this zone, there were reports that big white seabass were caught but we expend the entire day trying to catch one with no luck.

The Baja Guy

broschro

Awesome report! those are some large Mackerel,and croaker.

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on April 07, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 07, 2016, 04:13:49 AM
Sierras are good eating on whatever style do could think.. ceviche, sashimi, meatballs/soup (my favorite), fish tacos or directly to the frying pan with just bit of butter, pepper and salt.

Sierras meat balls.. its whats for dinner

bit bigger size the meat ball that normally, this time they were filled with Philladelphia Cheese

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Man that looks like comfort food!
I could use a big bowl of that.

theswimmer

Ouch, I passed on dinner because I wasn't hungry.
Now I'm starving!
Looks like a fun trip Alex.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelfish

Quote from: theswimmer on April 16, 2016, 07:21:13 AM
Ouch, I passed on dinner because I wasn't hungry.
Now I'm starving!
Looks like a fun trip Alex.
Best,
JT

thanks buddy, you should try it one day... or night

Quote from: David Hall on April 16, 2016, 01:27:21 AM
Man that looks like comfort food!
I could use a big bowl of that.

sure it is.. even 3x better than chicken soup, specially if you add some chiplotle sauce (or tapatio sauce) to the soup..damn!! now I need to make more   ;D
The Baja Guy