185 Light tackle bay reel; Extra light casting;Lt tackle casting; Baymaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

This model number was listed with different descriptions in the Penn catalogs of different years. Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Can anyone tell approx when this reel was made or anything else about it?
Thank you
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteCan anyone tell approx when this reel was made or anything else about it?
Thank you
Basto

1941. Penn catalog #9.

basto

Hi Michael
I have not received it yet. The stand got my attention first. I have seen mostly the X shaped stand on reels this size and age., but hey, I haven`t seen much.
Can`t wait to have a peek inside now.
cheers
Basto

Penn Chronology

Here is the catalog scan from the #9---1941 Penn Catalog.

Judging by the counterweight on the handle of your reel. it is a late 1940's model. The scan I provided is from 1941, the first year the 185 was built with this handle knob. The build style stayed this way for many years with very subtle changes. I do not believe your reel is a first year version; but, it is close. The counter weight and mottled spool are tells that suggests later than first year model.

Great find!

mo65

The chrome looks really good on that reel...a quick bath and that one will be a looker!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies. Michael, thank you for the scan.
Sorry for the lame photo. I had to take it of the computer screen.
Basto

basto

Well my 185 arrived and I cleaned it and lubricated it. It was quite dry inside, but working well.
The stand has been slightly ground to fit what was probably a smallish reel seat on a small rod.
I believe a stand from a 1/0 will fit it, but then it would not be an original reel, and we can`t have that.

The main gear is of course solid, as it does not have to accommodate a drag and there is no gear sleeve keeper pin.
Here are some pics.

basto

I just realised, I`m going to have to do something about my signature at the bottom of the page.

coastal_dan

Quote from: basto on August 09, 2016, 03:00:11 AM
I just realised, I`m going to have to do something about my signature at the bottom of the page.

Haha!  Nice reel for sure, great job cleaning her up.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

basto

Thanks Dan. I am starting to realise the importance of keeping these old reels original.  I used to buy new parts for some of my old reels if they looked less than very good, but that just makes the reel less genuine and actually takes something away from a reel instead of adding something of worth.

I remember putting new 500 bars and stand and spool on my 259, but have since taken them off and put back the original parts .
Depends what you want the reel for I guess.
cheers
Basto

oc1

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Well my 185 arrived and I cleaned it and lubricated it.

Nice cleaning job. I am going to have to put you into the "Man from Seattle named Ted" cleaning category!

George4741

I like it!  I've bought several of these reels because I'm so crazy about the color of the spool.
viurem lliures o morirem

basto

Quote from: George4741 on August 09, 2016, 03:39:46 PM
I like it!  I've bought several of these reels because I'm so crazy about the color of the spool.

Yes George, I used to think plastic spools were inferior and vulnerable things, but I have a couple that are on reels over 60 years old now and they are in mint condition. They don`t corrode like metal.

Basto