78 Sea-Scamp

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Does anyone know when the 78 was called a Sea Scout? I just got one in the original box but the box says "Sea Scout". Its a bit different than another 78 I have, in that it has more dramatic mottling, a matching mottled spool, and a fishing scene on the tail plate.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Deepennz

Hi there,
Yes, I also have a Sea Scout 78 with box - I believe that Penn bought these out in early 1954, and then changed the name to Sea scamp later in the same year. There is mention of these on page 263 of Mike's book - an add for two new reels for 1954. The Sea scout is slightly different to the later Sea Scamp as it has the same scene on the back plate as the early Sea hawks. I have wondered why penn did this - this would seem to be the last new model that Penn produced with a pictured tail plate.
I also have a Horrocks and Ibbottson Sea Scout that is very similar to the 78 - I wonder if Penn changed the name of their reel to avoid confusion with the H-I reel.

Cheers
Martin

1badf350

Thanks Martin! I wonder how many Sea Scouts made it out the door before the name change. Thanks for the tip on page 263. Ive had all three of Mikes books spread out on the living room floor for almost an hour, scouring for info and scratching my head.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Deepennz

Hi,
Yes, my reel also has that mottling - I also wonder about this. In 1954 Penn had only been in production for 21 years. The guys in the Bakelite molding Dept would have learned to produce this mottling over that time period eg they produced reels with different colored side plates, mottled spools, multicolored handles etc . This creative expression seems to have been allowed by Penn and we see it in the '50's with the #78,#79 and the #85 models. All part of what makes the Penn story so fascinating.(to reel nuts like me anyway!)

Cheers
Martin