PENN 50W - Question

Started by Marlinmate, February 22, 2011, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Are there shims available that will shim the spool from left to right?  What is happening is that when i turn the clicker on, it is not engaging the ratchet plate. I've got new clicker coming as a replacement, but trying to anticipate plan B. The ratchet isn't worn down too bad in my opinion.

I'm thinking a few shims on the pinion gear against the bearing on the LS should move the spool to the right and allow the clicker to engage more with the ratchet.

Thoughts?
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

kamuwela

ive noticed on alot of penn's that the clicker get's louder when the drag is set.  set at strike and see if it get's louder. when the drag is off the clickler sound's like it's not working.

Marlinmate

i found a part #154-50 called Shim, Spool Shaft. I wonder if this would work as plan C

Plan A - new clickers
Plan B - Tighten Drag
Plan C - Shim if possible

kamuwela

cant say for certin on the 50w, but most penn's ive seen have the sinm on the end of the spool shaft on the pinion side. the st series run's the belleville's on the shaft against the spool bearing and a shim on the end of the pinion. a shim on the end of the pinion will shift the spool to the left. ive also seen larger and stiffer springs installed to improve the penn clicker's. good luck. btw did you get the shim's i sent for your shimano 80w ?
                                                                         aloha
                                                                          kamu

Marlinmate

Yes i did get them...Thank you very much..problem solved.

I'll keep yawl posted on the shimming.

kamuwela

can you make a quick post in the shimano section on the shim process ? just so other's can find it if they come across that same problem.
                                                                             aloha
                                                                             kamu