Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Hi Everyone
Can anyone tell me approximately what year this 85M SEABOY was made?

Not sure if it came with box originally, but the catalogue was 32B
Thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Maxed Out

Looking at style of spool I was thinking 60's/70's, but that was prior to seeing the box. If the box is true to this exact reel, then my hunch was correct.

Notice the "32" postal code instead of 5 digit "zip" code. 1963 is when zip codes came about, but that doesn't mean this is a pre-1963 reel. This reel is in the new style box that came around in late 50's and Penn made millions of these type of boxes with postal codes that were still in use by penn till the late 60's and some cases early 70's. Eventually they ran out of the old stock of postal code boxes and the new run would have the 5 digit zip code.

BTW, very nice reel
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2016, 01:12:40 AM
BTW, very nice reel
x2

Ted, please help me here. There are no numbers on the bushings. That doesn't fit with 60's or 70's. What am I missing? No numbers suggests pre-'50. Spool and box suggest 60's-70's(?). How can we make this make sense? Oh, BTW, thanks for being here!

Sid
Sid Lehr

basto

Thanks for your replies guys. I`m learning all the time.
Basto

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on April 10, 2016, 02:38:31 AM
BTW, very nice reel
x2

Ted, please help me here. There are no numbers on the bushings. That doesn't fit with 60's or 70's. What am I missing? No numbers suggests pre-'50. Spool and box suggest 60's-70's(?). How can we make this make sense? Oh, BTW, thanks for being here!

Sid

Sid, the Delmar and seaboy were Penns "affordable" reels and the bushing did not have an oiler or a part number. It kept the manufacturing costs down for those inexpensive models. This type of 3 piece spool also had no part number stamped on it, the same as Penns stainless spools.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2016, 04:49:38 PM
Sid, the Delmar and seaboy were Penns "affordable" reels and the bushing did not have an oiler or a part number. It kept the manufacturing costs down for those inexpensive models. This type of 3 piece spool also had no part number stamped on it, the same as Penns stainless spools.

Ted
I knew that somehow you would have an explanation that made sense. Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr

basto

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2016, 04:49:38 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on April 10, 2016, 02:38:31 AM
BTW, very nice reel
x2

Sid

Ted

Hi Ted
Is the 285 Delmar an exception to that rule, as mine has numbers and an oiler on the tail plate bushing and just the oiler on the main plate?
Basto

sdlehr

Hey Basto, my 285 Delmar has everything numbered except the tail plate bushing...
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Here's the 285 on the left and the 85 on the right. Mike addresses the 85 and 285 in his book. These reels were Penn's cheaper versions of the Long Beach 60.... no trim rings, no frills, but the same mechanics that go all the way back to the Penn Model K with star drag; the reel that Penn first built their reputation on. Basically the handle and handle hardware are what separates these reels; the 85 was the less expensive model with a slotted screw that held the old, wooden bell-shaped knob. The 285 had the scalloped handle nut and locking screw.
Sid Lehr

basto

Thanks Sid. I like the stippling on the plate of your 85.
Basto

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on April 10, 2016, 11:20:15 PM
Hey Basto, my 285 Delmar has everything numbered except the tail plate bushing...
I just noticed that my 85 has an oil port on the handle side bushing; I guess it's not original...?? ?

Sid
Sid Lehr

mo65

Here's an 85 I picked up for my brother to be a display piece on one of his den shelves. Not sure of the year, but it has the old nickel plating rather than chrome. All I did was wash the dust off, and it cleaned up so well we nearly lost that "genuine character" Mike is so fond of. Actually...the outdoor pics made it a little shinier than it really is...but made the colors pop nicely.  8)

*Sid, this reel has a handle side bushing oil port too.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

That cleaned up really nicely, Mo!

Sid
Sid Lehr

basto

That is a beautiful reel.
Basto