Senator 117, 117-LH, 117L, 117-LH (14/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

A couple more...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Going great. The rod braces weren't tigh or corroded and came off by hand. The 2 piece rod came apart easily too.

The line was 80lb. It looked smaller next to the fat rod.

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Looking better and better!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

That's an interesting rod, an old Harnell. They haven't made those for a long time. It looks like the butt is an Aftco unibutt which would have been added later. It might have been added to replace the old butt, likely a Varmac. Nice find,a barbershop of all places. I guess there's some good fishing offshore of Alabama.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

By looking at the stickers on the rod it was customized in Morehead, NC. It is an Aftco Unibutt short straight. I can't see this being used as a standup rod.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

A lot of the old Harnells had handle grips made of something similar to particle board, I forget what they called it. Some had something similar to hypalon that was white, they called those marshmallows. Both had the Harnell logo on them. Neither held up very well. Nice to see someone tried to breath new life into that old solider. Solid rod and would be a chore to use for stand-up for sure.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Keith, that would've been Pete Alldred; his shop was on the causeway out to Atlantic Beach. He passed away several years back, but was the local building guru on anything from fly rods for albies to BFT sticks such as yours; the Big Rock Blue Marlin  is hosted out of Morehead and is one of the largest purses in fishing.  I always stopped in his shop when there and picked up any advice, which he was free about giving, and to look at the large reel collection he had. I have a rod he built at least forty years ago which I'm in the process of re-wrapping. I also have one of those Harnell's  with  the white rubber grip, Varmac seat, and Mildrum guides. All quality tackle of a bygone time.

John

UKChris

I love those old Harnell rods - the Royal range: black glass, Varmac reel seats, black wooden butts, white solid rubber (indestructible) grips and Mildrum rollers on the 80, 130 and Unlimited models (Royal V, VI and VII respectively). They have a sweet action, even though such rods have been described as flexible crow-bars.

I have both the 80 and Unlimited and would love a 130 to complete the set  ;D  They are definitely chair rods and would be impossible to use 'stand-up' - too long in both the tip and butt and too stiff.

A friend who fished for giant bluefin off Nova Scotia said he'd like my Unlimited to take the blank and re-build with Aftco Big Foot rollers and a bent Unibutt as it is the best blank for the job in his view. No chance! But it is too much rod for me, and I will stick with a standard 130 for the big stuff from a chair.

Chris

thorhammer

The Harnell I have, and that you say it is probably unlimited, is more than I want in a chair, much less standing up. I think the Varmac is a 30 or 32, almost tennis ball diameter.

coastal_dan

Keith - What an awesome combo, thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

UKChris

Certainly the Harnell in Keith's picture in a Royal VII Unlimited but has been fitted with a new Aftco Unibutt at some time. A great rod for giant bluefin or giant black marlin for people who like a pokey stick, though only single wrappings over the guide feet. Those Mildrum rollers can still work even if half a century or more old.

Penn_14

Hi Guys,

New member here with new 14/0 questions.

First off, thank-you Alan for hosting such a terrific website. The information here has been overwhelming, which leads me to my first question. I've had a pair of big water reels in storage for 25+ years. The reality of my ever increasing age is that it's time for these to move to a better home. But I'm not really sure what I have here. Based on what I've read on this site, it's definitely not 1st gen based on crank location. The PAT'D label is at 3'oclock, crank and lever nuts both have part numbers. I'm guessing 1960's(?), but I figured I'd ask folks who know far more about these than me. Thoughts?

Deepennz

Hi There,
From your photo's it is only possible to date your reel from 1950 (numbered parts) to 1965, when Penn shifted the logo back to it's original, 12 O'clock position. If you removed the line you would be able to see if your reel has a 3 piece spool(pre 1955) or a one piece spool, as per handi2's reel in photo's above. The one piece spools were introduced in 1955.
Cheers
Martin

Maxed Out

#18 catalog(1954/55) says the 10/0 went to one piece cast spool, and ball bearings.

Your 10/0 has ball bearings, and under that line you'll find the one piece cast spool
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Deepennz

Hi Ted,
The reel pictured is a 14/0 - which, along with the 16/0, came with ball bearings from day one.
I agree that the reel most probably has a one piece spool, but there is a chance that it has a 3 piece spool.
WE will never know until the line comes off!!
Cheers
Martin