Senator 117, 117-LH, 117L, 117-LH (14/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn_14

Thank-you all for your replies.

Is having a 3-piece spool a good or bad thing? I've read some comments that they're not as strong, but to a collector it might have more value. The thought of taking that much line off is a bit daunting!! but I'll do it if it matters.

Thanks again for any insight...

1badf350

I'm 90% certain your spool is solid one piece. In the condition its in, I don't think it matters much.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

A 3 piece spool is weaker than a cast bronze or aluminum.  When filled with monofilament  a 3 piece will spread at the flanges and render the reel useless and a costly replacement to find a good spool.  The mono will shrink and apply pressure outwards spreading the flanges.  Remember these reels were developed before mono.  A work around is to fill the spool first with 1/4"-1/2" with dacron to absorb the mono shrinkage.  A cast 1 piece bronze spool is bullet proof, albeit HEAVY.  I dont think an aluminum spool was ever made for the 117.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Bill, they do, for $366 bucks. The reel is now 117L.

Penn_14

Good to know, thank-you. Since I've owned it only the leader is mono with most of the line being Dacron (in the unlikely event the spool is 3-piece).

Penn_14

Hi Guys,

How much end play is the 117 spool supposed to have? and what is the limit of "acceptable"?

Secondly, how do you adjust it?

My smaller Senators such as the 113 have a knurled bearing end cap on the non-drive side to adjust this. My 117 end cap isn't knurled, and in fact it moves with the spool in and out with the end play. Thoughts?

alantani

here is your schematic.  it's possible that the bushings/bearings are worn and should be replaced.  otherwise, i would add a washer to shim the inside of the bearingss to take out the end play and center the spool. 

https://mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/117l.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Quote from: thorhammer on January 31, 2024, 02:34:14 PMBill, they do, for $366 bucks. The reel is now 117L.

John thank you the correction, i should have realized that.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!