200, 200M, 200L Surfmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 03:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I was going to start a new thread about a particular Surfmaster 200 I have in my collection; but, this thread seems to be sitting idle, so here is a good place to talk about the Surfmaster 200 history and my weird Surfmaster 200.

In 1940, in the #8 Penn Catalog, the Surfmaster 200 and its other family members was introduced to the public.

This series of reels were a reasonable facsimile of the Penn Squidder 140, that was introduced one year earlier. The Squidder 140 was $25.00. That was considered expensive in the Depression, so Penn decided to add another series of reels that would be a sister to the Penn 140. All the Surfmaster reels were Squidder like reels; but, the closest relation to the Squidder 140 was the Surfmaster 200. It soon became nick-named the "Poormans Squidder" and was a great seller.

There were only two real differences between the Squidder 140 and the Surfmaster 200 on the outside of the reel. The convertible drag and the spool bearings. The Squidder 140 had a convertible drag and the spool ran in ball bearings. The Surfmaster had a standard anti-reverse without the option to release the anti-reverse dog (Convertible Drag) and the spool bearings were sleeve type bearings.

Internally, the Surfmaster 200 had steel gears with a 3 to 1 ratio (the Squidder 140 had stainless steel gears with a 3.5 to 1 ratio). Also, the Squidder 140 had the synchronized spool anti-backlash system, while the Surfmaster 200 had a plain type Lightweight Bakelite spool.

So, the Surfmaster had many differences from the Squidder; but, that did not mean the Surfmaster 200 was an inferior reel. It was simply a different reel that still did a great job for a bit better than half the price.

Being that the Surfmaster 200 was a meat and potatoes reel, it got very little attention in the cosmetics department. Squidder side plates went from Black, to Dark Maroon, to lighter shades of Maroon or maybe even Red and back to Black again in its production history. The Surfmaster 200 side plates went from Black, to Black and back to Black. Penn always kept the Surfmaster reels in the utilitarian Black color it was introduced in.   

That brings me to my weird Surfmaster 200. I have a Maroon Poorman's Squidder. For some reason, Penn decided to make a Surfmaster 200 in maroon.

I cannot really say why, it just is what it is. It seems to be a mid 1950's reel. Nothing special about the features. It is no doubt a Surfmaster 200;

and it is no doubt Maroon all over.

So, there it is. I hope there is another one out there. With all the members here, maybe someone has a Maroon Surfmaster collecting dust on a shelf. I know I will be looking for a sister reel to this Surfmaster. In the world of Penn colors, many reels have been discovered in different colors; but, Surfmasters are always in Basic Black, except for one! 

sdlehr

So maybe we should nickname this reel "Little Red" as per Dom's "Big Red" 9/0?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo maybe we should nickname this reel "Little Red" as per Dom's "Big Red" 9/0?

Whatever floats your boat is OK with me.............<:O)

Alto Mare

Gorgeous reel, I wonder how many are really out there?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteGorgeous reel, I wonder how many are really out there?

That is a great question. It would be very unusual for Penn to make one of anything. Even very rare reels are usually made in higher numbers than "One". So, any day, another one of these could pop up.

Alto Mare

I'm not sure Mike, I'm still hunting down a red 9/0. Those might be unique :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2016, 10:30:31 AM
I'm not sure Mike, I'm still hunting down a red 9/0. Those might be unique :-\.

I married a red head that is quite unique. Does that qualify?  ;D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm not sure Mike, I'm still hunting down a red 9/0. Those might be unique Undecided

Of course Sal, you could be right. No way to really know, except for the fact that at this time there is "one". I think Dom's Red 9/0 is a much more dramatic "One Off" than this Surfmaster. This Maroon Surfmaster is kind of a subtle "One Off", it would be very easy to miss on a table full of reels, where Dom's 9/0 would jump out and bite you.

Anyways, I am happy to have it and always looking for another.

QuoteI married a red head that is quite unique. Does that qualify?  Grin

Nope, I married a Red Head also; but in about three months, she became a blonde, and then changed to a brown haired lady. Wives do not fall into the collectible classifications...................<:O)

Alto Mare

No disrespect to your wives, mike and Joe.  I've talked to both of you a few time and I know how you are, I'm sure your wives are just as nice, if not better.  ;D 

I'm the baby of seven, two of my brothers are married to red heads. They told me to stay away from red head women they're like the devil. One is going on 50 years married, so I think he was full of it ;D

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2016, 04:21:34 PM
No disrespect to your wives, mike and Joe.  I've talked to both of you a few time and I know how you are, I'm sure your wives are just as nice, if not better.  ;D 

I'm the baby of seven, two of my brothers are married to red heads. They told me to stay away from red head women they're like the devil. One is going on 50 years married, so I think he was full of it ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D Sal; Mine is like a cat, when they want attention then you better give it to them, and when they don't WATCH OUT! :o ;) ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

George4741

Michael, thank you for showing "Little Red".  Awesome reel!

My Surfmaster 200 has a smaller 5-155 main gear and 6-155 drag washers.  How common is this reel and when were they made?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy Surfmaster 200 has a smaller 5-155 main gear and 6-155 drag washers.  How common is this reel and when were they made?

Hard question to answer. Modern Surfmaster 200 reels have a Penn Long Beach 60 main gear; but, whose to say what main gear was in the Surfmaster in the 1940's (those years did not document part numbers). The Model 155 introduction late in 1939 pre-dates the Surfmaster 200 by one year or so, so early Surfmaster reels may use Model 155 main gears and drags. Your Surfmaster must be an old reel.