Edward vom Hofe 621 6/0 tear down and clean up

Started by BryanC, April 07, 2016, 06:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I recently purchased a couple Edward vom Hofe 621 reels in size 4/0 and 6/0, with the intention of fishing with them.  These were relatively inexpensive.  The 4/0 I first purchased is engraved with a name matching that of a rather famous individual, so I decided not to touch it as it may have sentimental value to someone, and I don't want to risk damaging it.

I bought a small set of Chapman screwdrivers, with the idea of getting a good fit on the slotted screws.  Unfortunately the set I purchased did not have any slotted screwdrivers that were thin enough for the slots in the screws of the 6/0 reel.  The thinnest tips in the set with an appropriate width were 0.025", and would not engage in the slots.  I found some Brownell's tips in 0.020" online and ordered them, but my impatience overcame me before they arrived, and I decided to try sanding down another screwdriver tip to fit.  I started with one that was initially 0.035", and found a very tight fit in the screws when it got down to .022"

And away we go!

Head plate removed

Tail plate with cross bars and foot still attached (note number 3 on reel foot)

Free spool lever / eccentric assembly

Another 3!

Jack, yoke & pinion removed

Handle coming off - it would be hard to round off that sleeve!

Spring-loaded doohickey on handle works with perforations in drag star to prevent star from rotating inadvertently

Spacer washer above rollers in drag spacer assembly

Rollers in cup.  I'm glad I saw Penn Chronology's post about this before digging into this reel.  From this post: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13757.0

Drag star and spacer assembly

Bridge removed from plate, and main gear/drag "top hat" removed from sleeve

Small screw removed so that main gear can come out

Double dog bridge!

The red arrows mark the dogs. 

There are two effective drag surfaces (either side of main gear), sandwiched between two plates.  Not sure if the plates are brass or bronze.

I did not remove the sleeve from the bridge post.  I was not sure how to do this without causing damage.  Everything was moving freely, so I just lubricated the dogs and sleeve as best I could without disassembling.

Main gear cleaned up, drag washer material appears to be permanently attached.  Both sides of main gear look the same.

The fuzz is from a paper towel I used to wipe off the existing grease.  I brushed it off with a toothbrush before reassembling the reel.

After some light cleaning with a toothbrush and corrosion-X, I found a few more #3's:

It appears to be a "matching numbers" reel!

I did not take photos of lubrication and reassembly, but I used Cal's grease on the drag surfaces and blue Yamalube elsewhere.  Reel-X on the dogs, and a drop in each spool bushing.  Here is the reel back together & ready to fish!

I did a bit of sanding and polishing to the spool.  It was pretty pitted, and could be cleaned up further, but looks good enough for me for now.

swill88

foakes

Strong work, Bryan --

And excellent photos.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Beautiful job Bryan. Great to hear you are going to fish with it. Are you going to use linen line?

Marcq

BryanC

Thank you all for the comments.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 08, 2016, 12:29:21 AM
Beautiful job Bryan. Great to hear you are going to fish with it. Are you going to use linen line?

That is a great question Mike.  Up until now, I was thinking I would fill the reel half full of fairly heavy Dacron and then top it off with lighter mono.  I understand Dacron has a lot less stretch than mono, and heavier Dacron would result in fewer wraps around the spool.  This would minimize the "spool parting" effect of running mono all the way to the arbor.  I was not really thinking about being period-correct, but wanting to make sure I don't split the spool apart.

I gather from your question that linen line is what was used back when this reel was current (at least I think that is why you asked).  It would be kind of cool to use the same stuff they used back then.  Is it readily available?  I have not looked for it.

Superhook

Byan,
The fishers of yesteryear that used Cuttyhunk linen had to look after their lines so they would not rot . To by it today is expensive and you still have to look after it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Penn+Senator&_ftrt=901&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_osacat=1492&_ipg=50&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xcuttyhunk+.TRS0&_nkw=cuttyhunk+&_sacat=1492

If it was me i would just use braid line.

Ray

Tightlines667

Especially when you are looking at filling a big game reel.  I think Dacron backing with a mono Topshop would be the way to go on these older 3-piece spools.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Great Job on that Old Dinosaur Bryan. ;)
I think that is Awesome you want to fish it.
I hope it works out.
Life is Good!

Mattman NZ

Excellent work on restoring that reel .

Rgds

Matt...

STRIPER LOU

Tightlines667

Quote from: Mattman NZ on April 08, 2016, 08:17:05 PM
Excellent work on restoring that reel .

Rgds

Matt...

I love that video.  It left a lasting impression when I visited the IGFA museum shortly after it opened.  I believe one of our ORCA members helped produce it. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BryanC

Thank you all for the feedback.  Based on Superhook's comments, I think I will stick with braid backing and a mono topshot.  Love the video!

Bryan Young

Thank you for posting the breakdown. I too have a 621.

Im not planning to open it because it's new in the original leather case.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sdlehr

Beautiful reels, both Bryans. Bryan C, great restoration job! They just don't make 'em like that any more.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector