Andros or Avet JX

Started by Bill Benrath, February 23, 2011, 04:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

I'm thinking about getting a 30 - 40lb reel for albacore fishing up here in the Pacific Northwest.  I know from experience that if you run 15lbs of drag on a JX the pinion bearing will wear out in a couple of seasons.  I'm wondering if the Andros will be as hard on pinion bearings at the 15lb drag level?

Most of the time I will be fishing jigs of some sort, tadys, megabaits, butterflies, etc. but occasionally I might troll Rapalas.  I don't know how strong this reel is (it only weighs 15oz) and if using it to troll with once in a while would hurt it? 

I'm sure the Makaira or Cedros would be more suited to full time trolling but I don't think they will cast a 2 oz Megabait as well as the Andros will.

Thanks for any repsonses,

Bill Benrath
Lady E

alantani

aaron would be the better one to answer this question because he's seen the insides of the andros.  i have to crack open mine this weekend.  a friend of mine runs a local shop and he has a very nice 40# hollowcore spectra.  that would go great with an andros and a short 30-35# fluorocarbon topshot.  the makaira 10 holds 400 yard of 65# spectra and a short topshot of 50-60# fluoro.  that leaves a gap in the okuma line up for a reel that will hold 400 yards of 50# spectra and a short topshot 40# fluoro.  that is where the makaira 8 would come in. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

Sorry for the late reply.. I have been in a bunker at my shop for the past 10 days!  I feel like I haven't talked to a soul or seen daylight.  Finally got caught up now..

As to the Andros..I think 40# would be the most I would fish on the Andros. I really think this would make a sweet jig reel.  I think this reel would hold up a little better at 15lbs of drag than the JX, but honestly it is right on the edge and could go either way.  Like Alan said, a Mak 8 would nail this much better.  Either way, you won't go wrong with the Andros and I think you will really love this small, little reel.  I would probably put 50-60 pound spectra on and run a 25-40# topshot based on what you are fishing.  I think the original specs says it will hold 430yrds of 50# spectra... but I have not had a chance to confirm this.. maybe Alan will be able to.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Bill Benrath

Thanks for the update ReelSong, enjoyed your tutorial.  I don't remember, did you say anything about how the handle feels with 15lbs of drag?  Did the handle start to get hard to turn like the JX does?

I realize I'm talking about maximum drag settings but my main issue with Avets are the low drag settings.

Thanks again,

Bill

ReelSpeed

Bill, The handle on the Andros I worked on was starting to bind at 15#'s.  I believe it was completely free in the 12-14lb area and gradually would bind from there.  Still impressive for a reel this size! 
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Bill Benrath

That is what I needed, thanks.

Bill