90 Coronado

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Mike, you mean a handle like the one on this old Long Beach? 

Thank you for the advice.  I' m going shopping....

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, you mean a handle like the one on this old Long Beach? 

Exactly. Or a Wood knob or a Resin Knob like the one shown in the 1938 Catalog::

You can use any of the early handles and still be correct. The Coronado's are a great model to collect. They go small too!

coastal_dan

Very nice!  There is a #15 rubber knob on eBay right now, but it has the tan 'specs' in it, not just black rubber.  May not make it correct but....at least closer  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere is a #15 rubber knob on eBay right now, but it has the tan 'specs' in it, not just black rubber.  May not make it correct but....at least closer  Wink

A Penn 15 handle is incorrect. Not because of the specks in the rubber; but, because it is not drilled and tapped for a locking screw and it is nickel plated rather than chrome plated. I think it may also be a shorter blade. The best and probably lowest priced parts reel to look for is a Long Beach. IMHO

coastal_dan

Good Points!  I will note them in my brain as well  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George4741

Since we are on the subject of handles, are all factory correct Penn knobs peened on the blade, or are some held on with a nut?  I've seen knobs held on with a nut and I don't know if it is original or a repair job.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteSince we are on the subject of handles, are all factory correct Penn knobs peened on the blade, or are some held on with a nut?  I've seen knobs held on with a nut and I don't know if it is original or a repair job

I think it would be safe to say that all Penn handles are held on with a squeezed brass rivet. A reel with a handle knob screwed or held on with a nut is more than likely a aftermarket modification.

When I refer to questions, my answers refer to older Penn reel. My knowledge of Penn reels from the modern age (1982 to the present) is limited.