90 Coronado

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 09:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronology of this reel in this thread.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George4741

I recently won a Coronado on one of the internet auction sites.  

A previous owner used this innovative way of holding the headplate on, tying some fishing line in place of the missing take-down screw.    

It appears that all of the parts are original, with the possible exception of the handle.  One of our members (Oceanreels) has a Coronado prototype with the same handle, so it may be correct.  Anyway, I plan to clean the reel and keep it in original condition.

I've been using 50/50 CLR and water to clean my other reels.  To those members who collect vintage reels, do you recommend using CLR to clean metal parts on older reels?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

coastal_dan

I had my eye on this one as well, haha.  Nice it went to a member...is that a newer knob mounted to an old style arm?

I have been using straight simple green as of late and it works nicely, I did have one reel that for some reason it turned the chrome parts to a gray color...so I used some Never Dull to bring it back some.  I've done about 30 reels in the same 'vat' so I probably just need to buy a new jug.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

oc1

I left some reel parts in Simple Green overnight and the brass took on a copper color like there was some sort of plating or electrolysis going on.  I'm getting wary of it now.

-steve

George4741

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 01, 2016, 07:53:29 PM
I had my eye on this one as well, haha.  Nice it went to a member...is that a newer knob mounted to an old style arm?

Yes, it was a good day when I won this auction.  You may have also noticed the auctions for two 100 yard Long Beaches that ended on the same day.  If I had won one of them I would have been a very happy camper.  I bid on both but they got out of my price range.  They sold for approximately twice what I paid for the Coronado.

I'm not sure about the knob/arm assembly.  I'm hoping someone will have some info on it.

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2016, 08:29:32 PM
I left some reel parts in Simple Green overnight and the brass took on a copper color like there was some sort of plating or electrolysis going on.  I'm getting wary of it now.

-steve

I sometimes get that copper color when soaking brass in CLR, but it eventually develops into a dull patina.  It doesn't seem to remove the chrome, though.
viurem lliures o morirem

Tightlines667

A soak in vinegar.  Will bring back the Shine.   Nice reel
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

George, the handle knob on your Coronado looks like a repair shop replacement. I could not find Brian's Coronado you mentioned. I really doubt if that handle knob came out of the Penn plant.

Coronado's are a fun series of reel to find. They have a interesting size range, so you can collect the models from 100 yard size to 400 yard size. I believe Penn made five different Coronado models and squeezed the entire series from 1934 to 1941.

Great find!

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 03, 2016, 08:10:33 AM
George, the handle knob on your Coronado looks like a repair shop replacement. I could not find Brian's Coronado you mentioned. I really doubt if that handle knob came out of the Penn plant.

Coronado's are a fun series of reel to find. They have a interesting size range, so you can collect the models from 100 yard size to 400 yard size. I believe Penn made five different Coronado models and squeezed the entire series from 1934 to 1941.

Great find!
Coronados came in 90, 95, 91, 92 and 96 models. The 90 and 95 were 250- and 300-yard reels introduced in '38, the 91 and 92 were 100 and 150-yard reels. The 96, shown only in the '41 and '42 catalog, was a 400-yard reel. There was no 200-yard model 93. Within a family of reels, more often than not, the x0 and x5 models are the 250- and 300-yard models, the x1, x2 and x3 would be the 100-, 150- and 200-yard reels.

The 90, 95 and 96 have 3-1/4" diameter plates, the 92 (and presumably 91) have 3" diameter plates.

This is from the 1936 catalog. Note that the model 92 with the 3" diameter plates exceeds the specs set forth in '36 when there was no model 92.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George4741

Mike, Brian's reel/handle is on the first page of the post "Penn Reels - just as you find them".  See the following link:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15800.msg163793#msg163793

The following photo is his reel with the handle knob similar to mine.

My handle knob has the word TRI-PAK" molded on it.
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe knobs from Tri pak Rifle cleaning rods.

Thank you Ray, I knew we had discussed this handle in the past. I was having a Senior Moment. Those handle knobs are used because they were very common. Any gun cleaning set of tools used that style handle for years.

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Bill B

Now that's funny, cleaning rod handle....talking about Scrounging 101,   Love it and will remember for future use...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

George4741

Quote from: TARFU on August 05, 2016, 05:26:17 PM
Now that's funny, cleaning rod handle....talking about Scrounging 101,   Love it and will remember for future use...Bill

I imagine back in the day there weren't many aftermarket parts for Penns, so the folks got creative when they wanted something different.  Since they are so similar, I wonder if the same person or shop installed the handle knobs on my reel and Brian's.   I'm leaving the handle the way it is, at least for now. 

Here is the Coronado all cleaned up and ready to catch fish again. 

viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere is the Coronado all cleaned up and ready to catch fish again. 

Nice job George. Good idea to wait for a handle. This hard rubber bell shaped handle would be a cool handle for your reel. It would place the reel into the 1937 / 38 range.