Fathom 30LD2 or 40NLD2?

Started by steelfish, April 09, 2016, 07:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

by chance anyone has this two reels that could post a comparation picture to check them out before buying one?

Yep, its me agains with the "what to buy" questions.

Im sold on the FTH LD2 since many months ago, just didnt have the funds for one.

well this week I sold my fathom 40 SD for gettin a LD2 finally, but now the real question is, which size to get.

I really cant have 3 sizes for each model of reel I like, so I try to mix-match and fill the needs with different brands.

I really like the 25NLD2 size but I would like bit more of line capacity in Baja you never know what you could get the other side of the line, so I have the 30LD2 as the main selection, but that same idea brough me the 40NLD2, a lot more line capacity than the 25n and ability to fish stronger top shots.

if I go with the 40NLD2 this will be used for trolling, casting heavy irons, bait and yoyo = same things that Im doing with the Baja Special currently.
if I go with the 30LD2 this will be used for casting irons, spoons and buttlefly jigs and keep using the baja for the other activities.

there some deep reffs (350-450ft) that could get you some big Vaquetas (pink groupers), big yellowtails and tresher sharks if you are lucky, for those fishes I would like to be equiped with the 40LD2.. but with this reel I see my Baja and medium tanked 113h getting less activity everytime.

half of the time with fish on zones with heavy structure on which you have to almost block the drag and dont let the fish go the the rocks caves.

so, any input ? any pictures to compare sizes ? really difficult to get my mind with the pictures from the web, no near stores that carry any of those.

The Baja Guy

MarkT

The 30 is just a wider 25. The 40n is about the same size as the Baja. For what you've outlined I'd go for the 40n hands down.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

What it will really boil down to is, what is right for you.

A few of questions answered could narrow down which reel may fit best. What lb test will you use most often on the reel? Second will you spectra back the reel? When you say you will use the reel for trolling will you mostly be pulling bigger lures or plugs or will you troll smaller lures and live bait?

If you already have a Baja Special and a 113 either of these reels can be used for trolling larger lures or with the drags locked down for pargo, grouper and such around structure. Do you really need another reel the size of the Penn 113HN or would something smaller in size be better for you when fishing bait, casting and fishing the yoyo iron?

For me when in Baja I find myself fishing 40 lb test most often when fishing bait, yoyo/surface iron and slow trolling live bait. Which for me is about 75% of the type fishing I do there. I like smaller reels that have the stopping power to handle bigger fish. I also spectra back my reels and run longer topshots of mono when fishing in Baja. This way if I get picked up by a marlin or sailfish and the fish damages the line I just cut out that part retie and keep fishing. Also when fishing structure if I get snagged or fish taking me into the rocks I can cut out the damaged line several times before I need to replace my topshot, not to mention I like casting mono better than a braided line anyway. For me a long topper is the way to go but for others it may not be.  

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 10, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
What it will really boil down to is, what is right for you.

A few of questions answered could narrow down which reel may fit best. What lb test will you use most often on the reel? Second will you spectra back the reel? When you say you will use the reel for trolling will you mostly be pulling bigger lures or plugs or will you troll smaller lures and live bait?

normally trolling deep diving lures like mirrolures 111r, xrap20/30 and yo zuri deep divers

If you already have a Baja Special and a 113 either of these reels can be used for trolling larger lures or with the drags locked down for pargo, grouper and such around structure. Do you really need another reel the size of the Penn 113HN or would something smaller in size be better for you when fishing bait, casting and fishing the yoyo iron?

well, this would be my first 2-speed reel, and I really dont know if I really want or need a too small 2-speed reel like the 25nLD2 or even the 30LD2,  I would to try a medium sized reel for going after big local fishes and try out shift speeds, fast for yoyo and jigs and slow for bait and trolling.

For me when in Baja I find myself fishing 40 lb test most often when fishing bait, yoyo/surface iron and slow trolling live bait. Which for me is about 75% of the type fishing I do there. I like smaller reels that have the stopping power to handle bigger fish. I also spectra back my reels and run longer topshots of mono when fishing in Baja. This way if I get picked up by a marlin or sailfish and the fish damages the line I just cut out that part retie and keep fishing. Also when fishing structure if I get snagged or fish taking me into the rocks I can cut out the damaged line several times before I need to replace my topshot, not to mention I like casting mono better than a braided line anyway. For me a long topper is the way to go but for others it may not be.  

this looks like nice method I dont use that way but hey! I considering myself a Newb and still have a lot to learn from the experts, I currently using 80# braid in all my 4/0 sized reels because of the heavy structure, I normally use short topshot (30-40ft) of 40# - 60# mono and sometimes the braid line get damaged on the rocks, and 80# braid resist a bit more and many current reels offer a lot of capacity for that poundage on line.

well, hearing myself I think I now set on the 40nLD2, and considering all that you guys have said I will go in a near future with the FTH 25n star drag for long cast quests for Yellowtail, 6&bait surf fishing from the shore, etc, etc. it will take the place of my saltist 20H and maybe the trinidad 16, which is my actual small casting reel for a big catch

The Baja Guy