Show what you do for a living...

Started by Alto Mare, April 10, 2016, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I drive an eighteen wheeler.
I'm a route delivery driver for Blevins Inc, we're like Lowes or Home Depot for Mobile Home parts/supplies, shed builders and HVAC install/repair.
I average 1500 miles per week, average 40-60 stops and am only home Tuesday night, Fri/Sat & Sun.
Front line of customer service for the company, I'm about the only face they know and have to love/hate.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jzumi

Quote from: alantani on June 09, 2016, 09:10:54 AM
been a long run.  actually 34 years, same job.  graduated from mclane hs in '73, did 3 years at fresno state in pre-pharmacy and was actually headed for a double major in zoology and chemistry but got into pharmacy school without a degree, was at school of pharmacy at ucsf for 4 years until 1980, did a year of pediatric pharmacy residency in the university of michigan, than another year of residency at memorial hospital in long beach, ca, then 34 years here at poison control, san francisco general.  tonight i have my last night shift ever.  next week i have three 12 hour evening shifts, then my retirement dinner on thursday, then friday and saturday to prep for our long range trip on the spirit of adventure.  ed and i will be hitting the road on sunday, we board the boat on monday.  

no more of this after next week!

Similar paths.  I also got into pharmacy school without a bachelor's.  I'm almost certain I bumped into you during my first or second year at UCSF (class of '86).   

You've beaten me to retirement.  I'll hang it up in 5 months and then totally devote myself to spearfishing, fishing, mushroom hunting, bicycling, rollerblading, hunting, and general goofing off.  I'll continue to submit samples for the paralytic shellfish poison monitoring program.

John

Maxed Out

Love this thread.

Keep em coming

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Jimbippy

Quote from: grizzley30814 on June 09, 2016, 01:27:04 AM
I do network cabling and fiber installation.

Ya brought back some memories with that pic, I worked for a hospital here in NJ for a few decades and our first job we tackled was a dozen network closets that looked like spaghetti monsters! Nice work BTW, the finished rack looks perfect!
Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!

Alto Mare

Yeah, the only way I could make it look that neat would be if I cut them to length.
Grizzley, I'm guessing bird nests are no match with you ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jimbippy

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 19, 2016, 01:06:47 PM

Yeah, the only way I could make it look that neat would be if I cut them to length.
Grizzley, I'm guessing bird nests are no match with you ;D

Sal

>:( It's always such a pleasure to correct what other "professionals" considered a finished job.  On the birdsnest side, I caught a limb on a cast just yesterday at the river that left me with the nest of nests. ( I was swinging for the other bank ) I had more nest than reel after that one!  ;D
Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!

exp2000

A long time ago in another life.............

~

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

Way cool video! I want to go diving right now.
You too, Lowprofile... what kind of diving did / do you do?

Gfish

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 10, 2016, 04:54:23 PM
Quote...medical gas installations....

Funny you should mention that. I was once involved with installation projects in the beverage industry aimed at the USA. They said we needed to use medical grade or food grade CO2. Which struck me as kinda peculiar, since gas is gas. So I asked around a lot, and nobody had an answer until i got ahold of an old friend who once worked at a gas bottle depot. "oh, sure," he said-- "the gas is the same; we just washed the bottles off in the driveway with a garden hose, and then it was medical grade." Or food grade, I don't remember now.

Still wondering about that. What say you?

I worked for a-while at a compressed gas plant. The different grades depended on 2 things if I remember right: the level of cylinder prep(cleaning) and the technical level of testing the gas after filling. The gas was always the same. You'd be amazed at the number of different grades that exist. I did the 5 &10yr. Hydrostatic cylinder tests for requalification and vacuum baking for cleaning. Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

I'm also a cubical rat. But I cannot show my cubical due to confidentiality agreements I have with our customers and my company. See www.ul.com. I'm an electrical engineer specializing in product safety. I've tested products including computers and peripherals, battery chargers, space heaters, blowers and fans, power supplies, motors, hair driers and curling irons, printed circuit boards and plastics, instantaneous water heaters, household and commercial cooking appliances, microwave ovens, portable and stationary power tools, medical equipment, solar equipment and electric vehicle charging systems over my 27 years of employment.

I get to travel some, but have lived in Japan, Taiwan, and Germany. So far, I have traveled on business to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, Germany, Cech Republic and Hungary. In the USA, I've been to Illinois, Wisconsin, Florida, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Iowa, North Carolina, Georgia, Indiana, and I think that's it. I still want to visit a few more states just so I can say I have actually been to every state of our union for work. That would be a neat accomplishment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

richard

I make tackle for Carp fishing, started in a shed 35 years ago.    gardnertackle.co.uk
For a hobby I go fishing, and fix up old Penn reels... ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Richard - So you're the one I kept employed when I was carp fishing all those years ago ;D ;D

richard

Tiddlerbasher.........Yup mate....I spent your money on wine...women and old penns  LOL...hope you approve ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - I've spent my money on pretty much the same things ;D ;D