Need some advice

Started by RiverAngler, April 11, 2016, 08:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverAngler

I have a 14 year old Shimano crucial that I need to put new guides on, and a Seeker Inshore series II that is a decade old and has some good scuffs on it. I would like to put a new finish on both rods to protect them and make them look better. Especially since the shimano will be losing its guides.

I don't know what to use. Do I use a urethane product, like Perma-Gloss, or Klass Kote, or do I use something like Flex Coat's rod finish "lite"? I leaning toward perma gloss. All comments are welcome.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Newell Nut

It would be easier for you to use flex coat high build. Get a cheap drying unit from mudhole and you are good to go. Got to keep it rotating for a few hours for a nice finish. After lightly sanding the old blanks wipe them down with DNA denatured alcohol and then coat. If you are installing new guides don't do anything with the finish until the thread work is complete.

MikeS51

You'll want to epoxy the guides. Flex coat will work, but I build with Diamond II and find it far superior.

RiverAngler

The guides will get covered in DII. I want to renew the finish on the Crucial first. Then wrap and finish the guides. The seeker will get scuffed, then finished. The guides on it are fine.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

akadashoe

I've got excellent results with Bullard's CPX.
No mixing required.
Just wet sand, clean off the grit, and go.
If in doubt, ask Jon Vadney, he's the guru!

Shoe

RiverAngler

Thanks, Shoe. That seems to be the consensus.

Reel 224

Quote from: RiverAngler on April 16, 2016, 07:55:05 PM
Thanks, Shoe. That seems to be the consensus.

If you want to get a glass finish use 320 to get the scuffs out and wet 600. Wipe W/Alcohol then tack. Finish W/DII you can use a second coat in 12 hrs. if needed. That is what I did on my older rods and they came excellent. My two cents. ;)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RiverAngler

Joe, Ive decided that after I cut the guides off I'm gonna wet sand with 400. then use CPXtra (which is a Bullards product, (now VooDoo Rods) because it is a light weight, very sensitve rod and I want to keep it that way. Then the guide wraps will get DII.

Reel 224

Quote from: RiverAngler on April 17, 2016, 08:35:18 PM
Joe, Ive decided that after I cut the guides off I'm gonna wet sand with 400. then use CPXtra (which is a Bullards product, (now VooDoo Rods) because it is a light weight, very sensitve rod and I want to keep it that way. Then the guide wraps will get DII.

That sounds fine. I'm not familiar with the use of CPXtra but that sounds good/however I would sand with 600 before, for a finer finish to the base.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Jon recco'd the Bullards to me; haven't used it yet but I have a barrel of such projects in waiting. Let us know what you use and post pics. I've used FlexCoat in the past for this as Dwight notes, but I want to see the Voodoo stuff, sounds a little easier if I'm doing whole blank.

John

RiverAngler

It's gonna be a while, but I will post em up.