Penn Long Beach 65, Ht-100 Drag Washer Sequence Question

Started by snookcatcher1, February 25, 2011, 11:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snookcatcher1

I'm hot roding this little reel with a stainless gear sleeve and Penn's Carbon Ht-100 drag washer system, but am having a tough time finding what the right order/sequence of the drag washers should be for this one.

Right now I've got:
1 carbon drag washer under the main gear

Then in the drag washer stack:
Carbon fiber
Stainless Keyed
Carbon fiber
Stainless Eared
Carbon fiber
tension spring/washer

That leaves just 3 Carbon Fiber washers in the stack, plus one under the main gear.  Is that right - or am I confused?

Also, what is a realistic drag # pressure that this reel should produce with the modifications?

alantani

Carbon fiber
Stainless Keyed
Carbon fiber
Stainless Eared
Carbon fiber
Stainless Keyed
tension spring/washer

probably 7-8 pounds.  but you should be able to convert this to a 1+5 stack using a carbontex washer under the main gear and five of the #6-60's with three keyed metal and two eared metal washers.  for 10-12 pounds of drag.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snookcatcher1

:-\, K- A little help needed ... so to get the 10-12 pounds of drag the stack could also be:

1) The one carbonex under the main gear (which is the +1)

2) Then starting with what slides on the gear sleeve and down in the main gear first:
Carbon
Keyed
Carbon
Eared
Carbon
Keyed
Carbon
Eared
Carbon
Keyed
Tension Spring/Washer

That correct?

When I arrange them like this they stack up above the top of the main gear.  Is that ok? Do I need to remove anything so that there is room for all these washers?

10-12 pounds of potential drag is beast for this little reel!

P.s. Yes I'm using the stainless steel gear sleeve upgrade to help prevent gear damage.

Bryan Young

The last eared metal washer will need to engage with the main gear, then it's all good.  If not, the last eared washer may engage the main ear if you bend he ears towards the main gear, but it is height dependent.

If it's still too high, you may want to search SmoothDrag for 0.4 mm washers of similar ID/OD.  You may need to bore out the ID or reduce the OD.

This is how I converted my Pro Gear 251 to hold 5 carbon stack washers
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snookcatcher1

:) That's super helpful!  So bend the ears of the last eared washer to crab the slot on the main gear and/or Drimmel out room for the extra washers.  That's making good sense!!!  Thanks very much for your expertise and kindness in sharing this very helpful info!!!!   ;D

p.s. I've got a similar question about my Penn 6/0, but I don't want to hijack this thread topic so I'll ask it in a section that is better for Senator questions.

alantani

snookcatcher1

I took it apart and studied it again.  I'm using the HT-100 carbon fiber washers and the stainless keyed and eared washers that come with the set.  Got the +1 Carbonex carbon fiber washer under the main gear.

Right now, all that seems to fit are the 3 carbon drag washers (3 + 1). Any additional washers would be so tall (thick) that the tiny little ears on the final eared washer would not fit down in the main gear.  I looked at bending the ears down so they catch in the slot of the main gear, but they don't look long enough to come close to making contact.

It appears that I'm at an impasse and the 3 + 1 is what it's going to be for now - unless there are other suggestions.

Are the Carbonex drag washers thinner?  Is that how you get more washers in the stack?  Are both the carbon fiber and stainless thinner, or just one?

Thanks again for all the input and help!!!

alantani

if you use a #6-60 drag washer, you should just BARELY have room for that last eared washer.  if you can do that, the whole stack will work.  alan

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: snookcatcher1 on March 05, 2011, 04:23:23 PM
Are the Carbonex drag washers thinner?  Is that how you get more washers in the stack?  Are both the carbon fiber and stainless thinner, or just one?

They can be. The Penn 6-60 is about 1.05mm thick, give or take. Some of the Carbontex washers come in 0.5mm, 0.76mm, and 1.0mm
Check out the list  >>  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1016.0
Yeah, that's one way to get more in the stack, but sometimes bringing out the Dremel is the only way. Penn metal washers (7C-60 set) are about 0.92mm thick. I don't know the thickness of Dawn's metals.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD