Penn Model 85 name changes through the years

Started by sdlehr, April 12, 2016, 06:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

It seems that Penn had a "thing" about the model number 85. The first listed in the summaries in the appendices of Mike's books lists the 85 Oceanside in 1934. True to the Penn "formula", it is a 300-yard reel. 1937 was the last year that reel was listed in the catalog. Then in 1941 the model reappeared without a name as a 250 yard reel. In 1946 it is listed as a 200-yard reel, but, again, according to Mike's book the wartime plastic reels with the wider arbors decreased spool capacity, so I think this is likely a yardage change due to a spool change, but there's also a picture of the 1941 model that has a plastic spool, so that's a little confusing. It was a 200-yard no-name reel until the 1952-53 catalog, when it picked up the name "Sea Boy". Through 1957 (the end of the summaries in this book) the model 85 remained a 200-yard reel. So first, Oceanside (but was it ever really produced?), then just 85, then Sea Boy, all with the model 85. The no-name 85 was almost identical to the Delmar 285 except for the handle. If you have any of these reels, please post up pics. This site gets 2.5 million hits a month; we have a valuable resource at our disposal to view a lot of pictures of a lot of different reels. Perhaps we can help Mike collect data :)

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

(5) 285's on the left -- (3) 85's on the right.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Nice, Fred. Do all the 285s have the stippled head plate? One looks like maybe not. If you get a chance to photo a little more closely can I see the two 285s in the back, one with green handle, one with the orange handle, both pointy? And that one that doesn't have a stippled head plate, if there is anything else different about it maybe that one, too?

Thanks
Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Is that a waffle clicker 285 on the far right/back?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 12, 2016, 08:10:52 PM
Is that a waffle clicker 285 on the far right/back?

No, John --

That is a pretty old Anglesea.

Also found a fairly old Long Beach 60 at the bottom of a crate.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

LMK if you would be willing to part with the AngleSea.  I could use 2-Zebco 4 spools, a few leather drag washers, and a set of Silverbeach plates as well.  I am on absolutely  no rush on any of the items, and am fine with some, all or none.. your choice. 

To me, a look through your boxes must be like a treasure hunt back in time, with a fewa hidden gems to be surely found.

You have my mailing address, and paypal info in a PM if you want to send me anything.

Thanks for sharing once again!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt seems that Penn had a "thing" about the model number 85. The first listed in the summaries in the appendices of Mike's books lists the 85 Oceanside in 1934. True to the Penn "formula", it is a 300-yard reel. 1937 was the last year that reel was listed in the catalog. Then in 1941 the model reappeared without a name as a 250 yard reel. In 1946 it is listed as a 200-yard reel, but, again, according to Mike's book the wartime plastic reels with the wider arbors decreased spool capacity, so I think this is likely a yardage change due to a spool change, but there's also a picture of the 1941 model that has a plastic spool, so that's a little confusing. It was a 200-yard no-name reel until the 1952-53 catalog, when it picked up the name "Sea Boy". Through 1957 (the end of the summaries in this book) the model 85 remained a 200-yard reel. Today I see references to the Model 85 Delmar that are waiting for Mike to properly document them in his next Penn book. So first, Oceanside (but was it ever really produced?), then Sea Boy, then Delmar, all with the model 85. The no-name 85 was almost identical to the Delmar 285 except for the handle, and this was way before there was ever an 85 Delmar (even before the Sea Boy). If you have any of these reels, please post up pics. This site gets 2.5 million hits a month; we have a valuable resource at our disposal to view a lot of pictures of a lot of different reels. Perhaps we can help Mike collect data Smiley

OK, too much information about multiple models, seemly with the purpose of causing confusion. The "Confusion Aspect" is easy enough to experience without creating more.

First, the 1934 to 1937 Ocean Side, Model 85, 300 yard reel has nothing to do with the later 1941 Model 85. When the concept of the Ocean Side was introduced, that reel was simply a scaled down Coronado. The only relationship the 1941 Model 85 has to do with the Ocean Side is the model number. I have been doing this for about 15 years and this is the first time I have seen anyone relate those two models in the same sentence.

Possibly my book does not do its job as well as I intended it to. If you want to follow the relationship of models, you have to look deeper than model number relationship only. The concept of the model is what really creates the flow. The 1941 Model 85--250 yard reel is actually the descendent of the Bridge City--Model 100. Using the Summaries in my book, go to the 1941 Summary, you will see the discontinuation of all three Bridge City Models and the introduction of the Model 85--250 yards reel in that same model year. A Bridge City is a Model 85 and later becomes a Delmar 285 existing in the same catalogs as the model 85. The differences in all these models (Except the Ocean Side) is garnish, they are basically the same reel done with different finishes on the side plates, spool material, handle knobs and handle knob materials.

Back to the 1934 to 1937 Ocean Side for a moment. Prototypes were made, some reels were produced. They are extremely rare reels that will almost always sell in the one thousand dollar range when they surface. These early reels are in their own class. Built in a few different ways, making classifying them according to build style really impossible. I have one of them in my collection, it is complete; but has a black tail plate and a brown head plate. I believe there are less than half dozen Ocean Side models accounted for and few in Trade Reel configuration wearing the King Fisher logo.

JohnDeereMoxie

Just picked up this Penn No 85 (correct category I hope!) paid 12 bucks at an antique shop.  He originally wanted 24 I asked for 10 he came back with 12.  It's in pretty good shape, thought it was worth at 12.  What do you all think?

Maxed Out

Sure, that reel is worth $12. Just be careful with the plastic spool and winding mono on too tight. Adding a metal long beach 60 spool could make it a very solid little reel

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 04, 2016, 01:55:18 AM
Sure, that reel is worth $12. Just be careful with the plastic spool and winding mono on too tight. Adding a metal long beach 60 spool could make it a very solid little reel

Ted

Thanks Ted. I don't have a conventional rod yet. Got it for a project and thought it was cheap enough. I like tinkering with the old reels.

Bill B

JDM....you should back away very carefully, pack it up and send it to me.....no questions asked, I will properly dispose of it for you, no need to get the authorities involved  ::)

I'd pay $12 for that all week long, great buy and great platform to expand on.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

USN_ED

I bought a PENN 85 Seaboy off e-bay the other day along with a PENN 60 Long Beach.  Here is the Seaboy.

Sellers photo and as it looked when I received it.

It was spooled with leadcore line and I stripped it off after receiving the reel.  Here it is with the line removed.

I thought it might have extensive corrosion due to it's age and the fact that the leadcore line that came on the reel had been fished.  Well, I opened it up and this is just how it was - no corrosion at all.

I don't plan to fish it any time soon so I think I'll put some PENN grease on the clicker, clicker spring, and main gear and button it up. 

ED

RowdyW

Ed, take it apart & service it. You said you like mechanical things. We are all here to help if you need it.      Rudy

USN_ED

I'm going to do that Rowdy.  I'll order the parts from Scott's and save the rebuild for this winter when there will be snow flying.

The folks at Scott's must think I'm nuts.  A couple weeks ago I ordered an Alan Tani wrench and then the other day I ordered a replacement reel (29L - 85 Black Aluminum) to replace a corroded chrome over Brass/bronze reel on a 60 Longbeach that I got the other day.  Then another order for the reel stand for the 60 Longbeach.  I forgot to order some PENN blue grease so I'll make another order for that and then order all the parts I'll need for the 85 Seaboy rebuild all in one order.  No big deal I guess but I gotta consolidate my orders in the future. ::)

Edited to add:  Oops - I just noticed your name "Rudy" at the end of your post.  I hope I didn't step on your toes by addressing you as "Rowdy".
ED

RowdyW

If you don't the shipping will kill you.      Rudy