TSI301

Started by hafnor, April 13, 2016, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Acetone leaves a white film residue even though it is not supposed to contain other ingredients.  I don't know what the residue is or where it comes from, but if you can see it and rub it off then it is probably real.  I have avoided naphtha because I thought it would leave an oily residue that would emulsify in water if the bearing got wet.  To prove the point about 0.1 ml of acetone, denatured alcohol, naphtha and 91% isopropyl were put in the wells of a glass slide and allowed to evaporate.  

The acetone left the familiar white film.  The denatured alcohol, naphtha and isopropyl did not leave a detectable residue.  The alcohols were predictable but I was really surprised that hardware store naphtha did not leave a residue.  It is Klean Strip brand VM&P Naphtha (VM&P = varnish makers and painters).  I'm evaporating 5 ml now to make sure nothing is left behind.

I agree that the stuff from the hardware store is sort of an unknown entity.  There are no ingredients on the labels or in the Safety Data Sheet (they do not have a real MSDS).  For naphtha it does say the flash point is 69F but the boiling point has a fairly broad range (264-291F) suggesting it is indeed a variable mix of hydrocarbons.
-steve

edit: could not discern oily residue after evaporating 5 ml of naphtha either.

Rickb

I have enjoyed the chem lessons!
Takes me back in time to when I worked in plating

theswimmer

GClev,
I am not a fireman.
I am however a SAR professional with over 30 years of experience in rural / urban and wilderness rescue year round.
I also have a real job importing and specifying stone products from every continent ex. Antarctica.
As I stated my education is bio chem based ,minor in geology, with a 4 year stint in a very high volume enology lab.

Here are some references for you as far as gasoline fire stats.
http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/gasoline-and-propane/gasoline-at-home
http://www.ameriburn.org/Preven/GasolineSafetyEducator'sGuide.pdf
http://www.burnandfireprevention.org/new_page_3.htm

Just some basic info offered with all due respect.
The stats for occurrence  and survival rate in gasoline fires are far different than what you quoted.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on May 29, 2016, 08:26:37 AM
Acetone leaves a white film residue even though it is not supposed to contain other ingredients.  I don't know what the residue is or where it comes from, but if you can see it and rub it off then it is probably real.  I have avoided naphtha because I thought it would leave an oily residue that would emulsify in water if the bearing got wet.  To prove the point about 0.1 ml of acetone, denatured alcohol, naphtha and 91% isopropyl were put in the wells of a glass slide and allowed to evaporate. 

The acetone left the familiar white film.  The denatured alcohol, naphtha and isopropyl did not leave a detectable residue.  The alcohols were predictable but I was really surprised that hardware store naphtha did not leave a residue.  It is Klean Strip brand VM&P Naphtha (VM&P = varnish makers and painters).  I'm evaporating 5 ml now to make sure nothing is left behind.

I agree that the stuff from the hardware store is sort of an unknown entity.  There are no ingredients on the labels or in the Safety Data Sheet (they do not have a real MSDS).  For naphtha it does say the flash point is 69F but the boiling point has a fairly broad range (264-291F) suggesting it is indeed a variable mix of hydrocarbons.
-steve

x2
I too did similar tests.
~

Blacklabelsociety

The best DeGreaser I have found is CRC  QD Electronic Cleaner for Ar Bearings or Regular Bearings. And I use 321 and Speed X. Both do really well. The CRC is pricey but worth every penny. I have used Lighter Fluid, Acetone, White Gas and the CRC cuts better for me. Good Luck my Ba Friends. I have also heard that Denso has developed a lubricant that is Awesome but cant seem to get my hands on any. They use it in there bearings on their Automated Robot Machines. Im working on getting some.

mo65

Well kick the dog and spit in the fire...who'da thunk a question about bearing lube would have morphed into this? Good read though... ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~