Need Help with Makaira 20 SeA and Removing Handle

Started by Wwen, April 19, 2016, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wwen

Hi,
I've removed all of the exterior pieces of the handle and two speed assembly. Yet the handle still won't come off. Is there anything else I must remove? Do I have take apart the internals of the reel also?

Note: only 1 AR Dawg because I haven't put the other one back on yet.

sundaytrucka

Leave the handle assembly as you have it broken down now, but install the pinion and spool assembly into the frame and install the side plate back onto the frame...

To remove the handle you have to turn the handle in reverse, against the AR dogs, so you need the dogs to engage, then give the handle a good torque in reverse thread. You can also use a rubber mallet to gently tap the handle.

Facing the handle it is counterclockwise = OFF, clockwise=ON

Be careful not to cross thread when starting the threads onto the gear shaft.

Feel free to post any questions you may have.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Wwen

Quote from: sundaytrucka on April 19, 2016, 09:40:11 PM
Leave the handle assembly as you have it broken down now, but install the pinion and spool assembly into the frame and install the side plate back onto the frame...

To remove the handle you have to turn the handle in reverse, against the AR dogs, so you need the dogs to engage, then give the handle a good torque in reverse thread. You can also use a rubber mallet to gently tap the handle.

Facing the handle it is counterclockwise = OFF, clockwise=ON

Be careful not to cross thread when starting the threads onto the gear shaft.

Feel free to post any questions you may have.

-Scott

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the reply and help. I was really busy this week and forgot to check this thread hence the late reply. Just to make sure I understand you perfectly. I have to screw on the drag can and assemble the sideplate. Then I reel backwards and the handle will come off? How do I make sure I don't cross the threads?

Lastly does it look I put the gears in the right side plate correctly? I will take some more pics tomrrow.
I'm pretty sure I did. The Makaira is kind of a complex reel for a newbie like me

Wwen

Also do you have any advice to getting the reel seat screws off this reel? Or any reel for that matter? Those screws are so tightly stuck. I really don't want to scratch the head of the screw.

Wwen

So happy right now!! Thanks trucka

Wwen

I have now put on both AR dawgs. To avoid confusion I'm using the pic with one AR dawg.

The picture is of just the right AR dawg. There is a bent piece of wire (the thicker one not the thin one) that hooks up to the AR Dawg and also wraps around the black rubber piece on top of the gear cover. Does the right bent wire go on top or below the left bent wire at where it is wrapped around the black rubber piece.

It seems like one AR dawg engages much more than the other. The right AR dawg will click significantly more than the left AR dawg.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about reel jargon

sundaytrucka

The right one goes on first, so it will be resting in the slot that is closest to the gear bridge plate, the one on the left will be on top.

For a dog that is not engaging, engaging late, or clicking when the handle is turned, you should bend the section of pin that wraps around the black bushing at the end of the gear shaft. Grip the end of the round end that grips the bushing, and gently pry it towards the shaft directly across of the AR spring, tightening the loop to grip the bushing tighter and thus be more responsive to the AR action.

Handle looks good. Make sure to install the drag cam and tighten the handle while holding the spool, then tighten the handle nut tightly (reverse threads).

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.