green grease

Started by mad mike, February 27, 2011, 11:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad mike

Has anyone used green grease on their reels?

alantani

sorry, mike, never even seen one!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

Hey Mike, I am working on a large scale grease test right now and I purchased some of this "green grease" to be part of it.  I will be posting all results when I am done.  But off hand, the one thing I don't like about it is that it is really "stringy".. not a technical term, but if you put some between your fingers and pull them apart, it is kinda like the play smoke we used to get as kids.. lots of messy little strings of grease.  I have seen the same thing with a couple of the other synthetic greases.  they have great properties, but I would not recommend them for reels, just because they can be pretty messy.. Hopefully this helps.. I am gonna laugh if when I am done, the Yamalube just takes the cake. we'll see...
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on February 28, 2011, 02:00:18 AM
Okay Alan: How about a Gray Goose...? ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

i'll bet it's stringy like the wheel bearing greases.  either way, it would take alot to get me to change from yamaha marine.  please let us know what you think if you use it.  good luck! 

elnath

Quote from: mad mike on February 28, 2011, 12:40:39 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 28, 2011, 02:00:18 AM
Here you go Alan
http://www.greengrease.net/

Well it is available in 3oz cartridges (which is helpful for those of us--unlike Alan--who don't buy reel grease in 55 gal drums :) )

tomsatx

1st post!!!

Green grease is great stuff. yes it is stringy as Alan mentioned, but this grease does not separate. The separation of the oil that you see left behind is the actual oil that lubricates where as the rest is the base that absorbs the oil. My only complaint...its green, a pea green that for a reel is hard to see where the coverage of the grease is at compared to the areas that have the coating. Good light or dabbing of a brush leaves a texture easy to identify. I never have packed bearings with this before, but I wouldnt hesitate to do so on heavy reels. I was disappointed that the yamalube did this on my work table at room temperature in the house since I was used to green grease  >:(

I have been using green grease on my jeeps and more recently in my reels since 2003. No runny oil from the joints so the lubrication is more efficient within the ball joint boots. Traditional grease will look runny and sloppy in the joint areas. It's not any more cost than yamaha marine grease and can be found at your local auto parts store. I think once my gun is emptied of the yamalube, I will go back to that or the finish line teflon grease. The finish line is similar to the Cal's grease in composition and is 1lb for $16. For that price, I can coat the entire reel including carbon drags for a decent price. Only downfall to that is that its translucent and even harder to see if its coated or not and that its not labeled marine grade, but if it repels water and has excellent lubrication properties, this should be great for my application.

alantani

there are two things to look for.  one, the grease cannot harden over time.  anyone that has worked on a 30 year old penn international knows what i mean.  two, it must resist forming an emulsion with salt water.  this last one is the measure of it's salt water resistance.  i do not have an objective way to measure that.  i hope the manufacturers that claim their grease is salt water resistant do.