Pitted chrome brass spools

Started by blktwr2660, February 28, 2011, 12:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blktwr2660

Hi guy's you know me  8))Always late,(Bizz and all that)Hey Byran going to take your advice going to custom paint those side plates.(Will post pic's,tell me if you like/or don't)New Question:When should you replace pitted spools :'((My aren't that bad,feel roughes in sides, center not that bad,some brassing present)I'am anything but cheap(Trying to prove a point you don't need gold colored reels or unlimtllless budget to catch qualty fish :D)But at (In my case 8))$65.00 a spool,that does seem a bit steep.How far can you go before you have no choice but to give-up the ghost and replace.As alway's I know what a busy man your.When you get around to it.Thank you and all the others who make this site a pleasure. 8)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

kamuwela

ever thought of powder coating? it wont fill all hole's but will smooth it out a little. just a thought.

Bryan Young

If I ever get my rod wrapping lathe out...but in the mean time, I use my drill press.

I mount my spool in the drill press have tried the following with results that I can live with.  Not sure which is better or not to remove pitting, but this is what I've tried.

Ok, I mount the spool in the drill press and turn on the drill press.  I have used 200-800 sand paper and wet sand the spool.  This takes a long time and you get wet too, but it comes out smooth over time.  The second is use a dremel with a wire brush while the spool is spinning.  Not as effective.  Third is a stainless steel wire brush while spool is spinnin with similar effects as using the dremel, but takes longer to achieve similar results.  Used a fine file, and a couple of other methods...hmm, one thing I haven't tried is a wet grinding stone...Hmm.

Personally, I like the wet sand paper and I usually strip of most if not all of the crome.  I then use 1000-2000 grit wet sand paper.  If this is not shiny enough, then I use my dremel with the buffing wheel attachment, brass buffing block and buff the spool while it's spinning on the drill press.  Last, I take pure carnuba auto wax (yellow wax), and coat the spool and rub off while  the spool is spinning. I do this several times. to make sure that I get every spot of the spool that I'm polishing.

You could also sand blast the spool. 

I want to try powder coating the spool, but do not have a method to apply powder coat evenly and consistently.  This would be my option because powder coat is so strong and you could choose any color you want.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

if im not mistaken bryan eastwood co sell's home powder coat kit's. you bake it in the oen tho. maybe you can use alan's one lol. i hear it's not good to cook in it after using it for powder coating. he already owe's his wife a dish washer. maybe fin a used one or a toaster oven.

blktwr2660

8)Thank's guy's Great ideas,Think I'am goining with the the powder coating(wait till my powder coater here's about this ???)As soon a this project is completed I'll post pic's.Like the Idea of color choices 8)

blktwr2660

Hi guy's  8))Thanks for all the feed back,Think I'am going with the powder coating(Cheeper than replacement :-\,and the color choice's :-*What can I say ;D)(Wait til my powder coater here's about this) When this project is over I'll try to poast pic's.Again thank's to all.Mr.Alan once again Thank You for this site,for I truley know what a busy man you truley are 8)                                           

Bryan Young

I would coat it any color other than black.  I just don't like the spool to absorb heat.  Pearl poweder coat would be awesome.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

hey bryan what about podagee chrome? lol hawaiian joke 8)

Bruce

Hello     Try Testors model fuel proof paint on the spool , very durable.

thanks Buzz
Buzz

Bruce

Quote from: Buzz on April 12, 2012, 11:52:48 PM
Hello     Try Testors model fuel proof paint on the spool , very durable.

thanks Buzz
Buzz