Recommend me a short boat rod AKA Panga rod 4.9' to 5.5' max 30-50lb fiberglass

Started by steelfish, April 16, 2016, 12:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Hello guys, well my good old Le sabre rod 6.6' that I was using for trolling and fishing bait its finally done after 8 years of use, its not totally done but I heard a loud cracking sound while fighting a Sea Lion this last fishing trip and it wont survive another, so it will be turned to light dutis or as loaner, well any way, I was looking for an excuse for a new budget boat rod.

I have always liked the Kenkon Panga rod specs, never used one or saw one in person but all West coast guys talked always good things about it, now the brand and model are gone for good.. no mas kenkor Panga rod.

well, now Im looking for something alike that rod.

Kenkor Panga Rods
series 1 (Tenlew Magnaglass)
Kencor 703HC   4' 9" length
Kencor 707H     5' 10" length rated 20-50lb
Kencor 707XH   5' length  rated 30-60lb
Kencor 707XXH 5' 6" length  rated 40-80lb
series 3 (Tenlew Magnaglass)
Kencor Kayak 703S 5'4 length 8-30#

this are perfect sizes and line rating for fishing the Baja on a Panga, you really cant use comfortably a 8' jigstick or 8.6' casting rod like its normally done on party boats or sport fishing boats, best rods for panga general use are 6.6' and a 7' could be doable but no more than that.
the thing is that the only ones I have found on-line are chinese unknown brands and at this moment a $350 custom rod is outta question.

so, if you know or remember a rod brand and model that could be on this range of specs please let me know I will check them online, preferably Glass rod or composite.

not much budget, $100 max, ugly stick rod seems to fit the bill but not totally convinced, Okuma pez vela rods look good too but wanted to ask the experts before getting any rod that I havent seen in person, not in a hurry, tho.

The Baja Guy

Marcq

I'm a big fan of Ugly Stick, I use the Tiger Light the spinning/jigging version, 6'6" 50-100lb, the shortest casting version  is 5'8", tough rods. Made myself a 2pc rod for travel out of a Ugly Stick,for the money it's hard to beat

Marc..

MarkT

My best 45# YT was from a panga using a Seeker 6465h. I've done well with 7' 6470 and 6470h too. I've caught hundreds of Calicos and smaller YT with 8'ers from Pangas as well.  I don't think I'd want a 5' 6" rod from a panga, I'd have to lean over the side too much.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

DBCFR

Two of the very best short panga rods are Calstar BT655 and BT655H cut 4" off the butt and build
IMHO with 40+ years of rod building under my belt...
Thanks
Dave B
DBCustoms
45+ Years of fishing and rod building its been an adventure!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If you are looking for a short glass stick in that line rating range, I don't think that you can go wrong with any Calstar, Seeker or vintage Sabre (the original Sabre, not the Penn Sabre or any the more recent imported Sabres) 655 or 6455.  They are dirt cheap since almost all of the sportboat guys are fishing the rail with longer rods and most of those few who still fish short rods want graphite.   You should be able to find something really nice and ready to fish for under $100.

SoCalAngler

A couple of other rods you may want to look for also are a Calstar 660H (6'), these came factory wrapped RS/RT which is roller stripper/roller tip the other four guides are rings. I know you said 5.5' max but I don't think a 6 foot rod would be bad for a panga rod length. Also a Calstar Baby Boomer (5.5') is the same line rating but these rods came with all roller guides and because if this costed more. Like stated above if you can find these used I'm sure you can make a good buy on them.