Fathom 25lw

Started by basto, April 16, 2016, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I had a rattling noise coming from the reel and took it apart to try to find the cause. Could not find anything wrong, so I put it back together (almost) until I came to the handle nut, which sheared from it`s threaded shaft.
I did not think that I put excessive force on it when tightening it, but it looks like a job for a small easy out now.
Having looked at it closely, I would think the gear sleeve could be a little wider, alowing a thicker handle nut shaft. To me, it just looks way too thin at 4.25mm.
I realise it is not a stressed part, but I will be tightening the new one very, very carefully.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

FatTuna

Yikes, I hate when that happens.

If the easy out doesn't work for you I learned a new trick the other day.

What you do is take a torx head drill bit and hammer it in. Best to make a little divot first. The brass is soft. Then you just take a ratchet and carefully twist it out. I've only done it twice but I was able to remove two small, stuck, stripped out screws.

basto

Hi Fat Tuna
Thanks for your reply. I can see how that would work, but the good news is that I was able to just turn it out with a grip on it with a pair of tweezers.
Of course I didn`t try the tweezers until I had taken it all apart again and pulled the sleeve out.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

FatTuna

Quote from: basto on April 16, 2016, 02:05:08 AM
Hi Fat Tuna
Thanks for your reply. I can see how that would work, but the good news is that I was able to just turn it out with a grip on it with a pair of tweezers.
Of course I didn`t try the tweezers until I had taken it all apart again and pulled the sleeve out.
cheers
Basto

That is good news. I when stuff gets stuck. It can be very frustrating and time consuming.

I need to learn to weld so I can try Adam's trick.

Nice work. 

Tile

That handle screw obviously has a manufacturing defect - poor brass alloy. Maybe someone might make some stainless stel handle screws for the Fathom series - it will be an instant success.
In solid fiberglass we trust