Recommendations For HEPA Air Filter?

Started by cbar45, April 16, 2016, 06:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

My el-cheapo unit just burned out and I will be fighting the dust wars finishing a few rods soon.

No dedicated drying box--or even climate control here--so an air cleaner is essential.

Prefer something in tbe $175 price range or so, capable of doing an excellent job in a 12' x10' space.

Thanks, Chad

foakes

Chad --

Online generally will be HD, Lowes, Amazon, etc.

Jet has a unit for $369 -- and looks like Grizzly has a comparable unit for $163.

I am in the process of looking into one of these for one of my woodworking areas -- already have a Powermatic dust collection system that will be ducted to each power tool -- and operated by remote control.

But the air filtration system is also key for the 10% of particles that are not removed by the dust collector.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbar45

Hey Fred, thanks for the feedback and photo from your catalog--those shop filters certainly look like they would be more than adequate for my work area. The overhead ceiling-mounted models are what caught my eye. Space-savers, and the specs look good for a room of my size.

This is one of those times I am in envy of folks who reside in the lower 48. Shipping this type of equipment to HI can get expensive really quick due to the weight. I once priced shipping for a midi lathe from Harbor Freight, and the best price came out to more than the cost of the lathe itself. For this reason most of my tools are purchased second-hand, with a few obtained from the big-box stores you mentioned--though their selections are often limited. The stores on Oahu are much better, but I do not live there.

Your woodworking area sounds like a nice setup. In my case all the dust-generating work is done outside in the garage, with a spare bedroom dedicated as the rod-wrapping and finishing area. Even so, I've always had to be diligent keeping dust at bay; We have three indoor cats, and they are free to roam about as they please.

My habit is to run the air filter in the room for a few hours or so, on the days when I will be finishing a rod. I also use a spray bottle of water and mist down the workbench and immediate area where I will be working. Those two things seem to help--most of the time--but there is always room for improvement. I wish I had some means of positively pressurizing the room, so that any dust from the outside won't get pulled in when the door is opened.

Chad

Tightlines667

I wonder if using an industrial blower fan with a simple air filter could help to achieve a positive pressure gradiant?  Then use a HEPA air filter to keep the particulates lower.  A dehumidifier may also help to keep humidity levels where you like them.  It seems like a 4 or 5 rod drying box would really ensure the most optimal conditions for drying the rods.  I've seen photos of some pretty cool looking setups.  

Shipping costs on larger items, can really be prohibitive.  As I'm sure you are aware, there is a Grainger here on Oahu.  They have an online catalog.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 17, 2016, 08:31:10 PM
I wonder if using an industrial blower fan with a simple air filter coupd help to achieve a positive pressure gradiant?  Then use a HEPA air filter to keep the particulates lower.  A dehumidifier may also help to keep humidity levels where you like them.  It seems like a 4 or 5 rod drying box would really ensure the most optimal conditions for drying the rods.  I've seen photos of some pretty cool looking setups.  

Shipping costs on larger items, can really be prohibitive.  As I'm sure you are aware, there is a Grainger here on Oahu.  They have an online catalog.

I've thought about removing one of the windows and mounting a filtered blower fan in its place to do as you describe, though that is more work than I care to do at this point. It's an older "island style" house, so the room has no already established vents or ducting to work with.

Another thought was to simply use two HEPA Air Filters--one for the finishing room and one in the hallway leading to the room for the rest of the house.

Your idea of adding a dehumidifier to the finishing room is a good one. Any other members have suggestions for keeping a room dust-free, or as close to it as possible? I'm all ears.

Chad