Could an experienced member comment on this?

Started by Saaben, April 20, 2016, 10:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

This board has been a great deal of help and is greatly appreciated. This Penn senator is ( eBay item number:191847017839) currently on Ebay and the price is $117.50. I had contacted  the seller when first listed and he was asking $135 buy it now price. I have bid on it and watched it climb quickly above $100. It is one of the nicer examples I have seen. The bidding ends tonight and of course it is worth what someone is willing to pay. I was curious as to what the members on this forum think of the reel and a fair price? Again I really am appreciative of the time people take to responds. Thanks

cbar45

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Senator-9-0-Big-Game-Fishing-Reel-/191847017839?hash=item2caaf92d6f:g:xfsAAOSwLmVXDsxH

Well, the photos show a reel that appears to be in better-than-average condition for a used 9/0. Harness lugs and clamp screws are straight, screw-heads are decent, trim rings are good (no cracks), and the chrome--aside from the slight corrosion pointed out--looks to be in very good condition. If the internals and spool arbor (not shown) are as good as the outside, then this would be a great foundation to build upon--imho.

However, I am not aware of any 9/0's that came stock with stainless gears, although many did have plain steel gears installed at the factory. It's possible that someone swapped the main-gear for that of an anniversary 114H (stainless), or even a set of Black Pearl gears (unlikely). At this point all you are going on is the word of the seller.

The reel also looks to be missing its forward rod brace, and it's a toss-up how good the condition of the spool is under all that mono.
Not a problem of course if you intend to swap spools, but just something to be aware of. Being a later-production model with ball bearings, an aluminum spool would swap in no problem. You could also run the spool it comes with, as it appears very much to be of the stronger one-piece variety--judging from the color and the way the flange corresponds to the inner trim ring. So is it worth what it's going for at the moment?. It all depends on who you ask.

Personally, $120 is the most I'd be willing to pay for a 9/0 of this type, and in this type of condition--Without handling it in person and with all parts intact, but that is just me. Others might be wiling to pay more (or less), and the difference between the two is the ball-park range you'd be looking at. The buy-it-now price you were quoted does fall within the upper end of that range...imho.

Chad

Aiala

It looks to be in overall good condition, and the plate screws don't look chewed, which is a solid indication that the insides probably haven't been mauled (but no guarantee).

The lack of an aluminum spool would likely deter me because of the added weight, but that's just a personal choice. Assuming the price works for you, I imagine you'd be quite pleased with this 9/0.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Saaben

Thanks Aila, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. As a "newbie" I have over analyzed this decision and researched the heck out of it. I so wish the new 115l2's had much more positive reviews. I may find myself taking a chance on one of the new ones as I am just not sure what to think about the Ebay items listed.  It is easier to "come across" a Penn Sennator 15/0 when you already have one vs. going out and trying to locate one. I have an  Okuma currently that seems up to the task but quite simply lack the line capacity. Thanks again and have a great day.

handi2

I'll probably get called out on this one but the new H2 models will serve you well if taken care of. Just like taking care of any reel new or old.

The downfall is the frame....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on April 20, 2016, 06:44:36 PM
I'll probably get called out on this one but the new H2 models will serve you well if taken care of. Just like taking care of any reel new or old.

WHAT!!!!

Only kidding  ;) I agree

Marc..

DaBigOno

Aloha Saaben,

first a DISCLAIMER:  i am not "reely" an experienced member when comes to the Bigger Penn Senators.  We'll leave that to our resident experts like Sal and Daron to name a couple.

But here is my take on it.

it all depends on what you want out of the reel...

are you just looking to fish with it as is?  then a brand new 115HL2 will do just fine as Keith (Handi2) mentioned.

are you looking to upgrade/hot-rod it a little with some of the aftermarket parts available on this site?  Then i would recommend finding an original "made in the USA" model with an aluminum spool as Aiala and Chad mentioned.  Also pay attention to the models with bearings and not bushings.

here's my reasoning...
those chromed over spools are heavy, and I'm too old to be carrying an anchor around the boat with a fish at the end of my line.

with the upgrades of drag kits that can produce up to 70lbs, then you might want to upgrade the stand & post to a Cortez Half-Frame or Accurate Full-Frame.  Is been mentioned that those frames don't line up with the 115HL2 models.

i would also be looking for a used 115L (bearing) model because you can find them on the cheap,  if you're patient.  i got this one at one of the local tackle shop that was on consignment for $70. 

but they can also be found on Craigslist and Ebay.  I would recommend that you exercise caution when looking at a reels with line on the spool as Chad mentioned.

i did notice a few "buy it now" on Ebay that were decently priced. 

A new 115HL2 is approx $150 on Ebay.  If i can find a used Bearing-type 9/0 with an aluminum spool in great shape for approx $100, I'm doing ok.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the inner and outer rings because it only $45/set to replace, so i still find myself at the same price range as the HL2, except i can upgrade this older model.

I hope this helps   ;)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

RowdyW

The newer H2 model will work with the aluminum aftermarket frames. They just have 5 holes in each side instead of 8, but that is still strong enough. If you want to use an SS sleeve in a H2 you will only have to change handle & screw to hold the handle. But when hotrodding you will usually change the handle anyway. There is nothing wrong with the newer H2's, in fact they have more SS in them then the older 9/0's (screws, rings, etc.). And all the internals are interchangeable with the earlier ball bearing models.       Rudy

erikpowell

Bula Al!
That 9/0 looks familiar! 

I silently give thanks to you every time I handle that reel.  ;)
I haven't fished that one yet, but will soon!

Alto Mare

You also silently disappear and silently reappear, I didn't even know you were back ;D.
How you doing bro...good to have you back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

:o :o
Howdy Sal !
Thank you, it's good to be back. You sir have been a very busy man! ...along with all the others who are sending you nifty items for testing.  ;)
All I can say is WOW. The talent here is exploding

Busy work schedule along with the trials and tribulations of island living have kept my free time at bay for waaay too long!
I'm trying to get back on the wagon now!
My workbench is covered in salty dust and I'm trying to wade through the mess.

Great to see you too ole pal.