Abu Garcia Big Game 7000 HSN rebuild weirdness....help

Started by Tgr23, April 19, 2016, 11:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgr23

I rebuilt the reel this winter and now I'm having an odd problem. After the rebuild (table testing now) when I pull drag there is a noticeable click as the spool turns.  I took the reel back apart and everything is where it is supposed to be.  It seems like this is happening as the drive gear is rotating under drag.  It looks like the two bent tabs on the underside of the drive gear click in and out of the slots in the drive shaft slotted ring.  Maybe I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work down there but it sure seems like it's all where it's supposed to be.  What am I missing?
Thanks,
Travis

Robert Janssen

Nothing. All is well. Its just a drag clicker, thats all.

Bryan Young

Hi Travis,

Does the main gear have spring tabs in the middle of the center gear and the top drag pressure plate have holes?  If so, this is normal.  It is used to alert that line is coming off the spool against the drag pressure.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

What Brian said. The top of the ratchet gear has bevelled type holes/recesses that flat springs on the bottom of the main gear ride in and out of which gives the clicking sound as you pull out line. Normal with these reels.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Tgr23

That is a weird design.  As I manually pull drag the spring sliding into and out of the recesses has the effect of creating and releasing resistance.  I wouldn't think that would be good.

Thanks for the info.  I'll zip it back up and put it back into rotation.
Travis