Penn 113H drag compressed

Started by Ohrichie, April 25, 2016, 08:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohrichie

Here I am, the drag stack has been compressed for 10 yrs.
I can't get it to move from the gear, I'm soaking it in thinner
hoping it will loosen. Any one deal with this ? I'd appreciate
a suggestion. The DUFFO said there're in good shape
'I haven't used them for 10 yrs !'.

Dominick

Gouge them out and replace them.  If you think you will have problems with the DUFFO send the gear to him and show him what you found.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

FatTuna

I actually just dealt with this last night. I managed to use a small awl and pry it out. Took a while but I managed to get everything out. I pulled them out one washer at a time. They were all fused together.

foakes

Dominick is right -- just get them out -- then put new greased CFs and new SS washers in the stack.

My method for getting them out with no gouging on the inside of the gear, is to turn the gear upside down on a piece of wood -- then insert a screwdriver at a slight angle to catch the inside edges of the stack -- then just tap them out.

Generally, they all come out except for the bottom fiber washer -- which can be scraped out -- then clean up the gear with a dremel and wire wheel -- soak and clean up the gear -- then reassemble.

If the stack is fused also to the sleeve -- then just carefully pry the gear off of the sleeve -- by using a couple of flat screwdrivers between the bridge and gear -- and twisting the blades (being careful not to nick any of the metal parts and pieces -- then tap out the washers.

Got to take off the sleeve by removing the pin -- then clean out the sleeve inside using a 1/8" drill bit covered with "0000" steel wool.

Could be corroded or rusted.

Hate to ask, but what is a DUFFO?  If the translation crosses the line over into violating the 12 YO rule -- just forget it -- I get the picture.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

I soak them in diesel (kerosene works but I have diesel) for a day then try to knock the stack out using a punch on the edge of the keyed washer.  You will have to pick out the bottom fiber washer, try to avoid scratching the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Hey Fred we use doofus.  At least that is what I presumed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I wasn't going to ask, but found no results to Duffo.
Doofis definitely makes more sense.
That is how I spell it. ;D
Goofy Doofis. ;)
Life is Good!