Fast Switching Jigs (Yellowtail)

Started by Vince, April 21, 2016, 11:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince

Hey all,

Here's a scenario: Imagine you flew into San Diego to do some yellowtail fishing, and you only have one rod/reel to work with. Depending on the conditions, you might be fishing deep yo yo irons, or surface irons, or live bait- swapping between all three takes time, and I was wondering about the best way to quick switch between the above options.

Option 1: Cut and retie your leader whenever you want to swap between the 3.

Option 2: Just tie a barrel swivel to the end of my mainline, and clip in to a surface iron/yo yo iron/leader with a live bait hook depending on the scenario. However, I hear that attaching a swivel to Tadys/Salas irons messes up the swimming action significantly.

Option 3: Tie a bimini/spyder loop at the end of my mainline with a long diameter loop (6'' or so, enough to feed the loop through the solid ring on top of a jig and around the jig to secure it. Could secure a libe bait hook the same way, though seems less than ideal. Disadvantage- double line to the jig might be clunky and or visible?

Option 4: Similar to Option 2, with a swivel at the end of my mainline, but rather than have the swivel attach directly to the jigs, have a short 2'-3' leader tied to each of the jigs I might use with a perfection loop at the other end, and clip my mainline swivel into that leader whenever I want to swap. If the swivel isn't directly attached to the jig, maybe the action will be normal?

Has anyone tried any of the above options and have an opinion as to which might be the best way to go? Numbers in SD are looking like 1 to 1.5 yellowtail per angler, and I'll be going next week. Just want to maximize my chances of hooking up. Thanks a lot!

Vince

Bryan Young

I would attach a 100 foot top of 30# or 40# leader material and cut and retie a surface iron, yoyo jig or a hook.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I would ask a friend to loan me 2 more rods but that is not the answer you need.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

Quote from: Keta on April 21, 2016, 11:31:44 PM
I would ask a friend to loan me 2 more rods but that is not the answer you need.

;D ;D

Brendan

I travel lighter now but used to drag three plus three back ups. Pretty funny Keta.

Keta

I am trying to cut it down to 10 for the June trip..... :D   It was a good thing I had spare rods on the 2014 trip, I loaned out 1/3 of my rods.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

No hardware, just cut off the jig and tie on another or a hook.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

I try to stay at 8 because that's how many rod holders my crate has, though I do tend to sneak a bent butt in, packed in a case at times.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Vince

Thanks for all the input all, I'll cut and retie! Eventually I'll fill out my stable and go out on one of those offshore trips with ya'll.

Keta

Mark Twain

MarkT

If you went on one of Alan's 5 days you wouldn't need to bring any rods! Alan brings enough loaners for half the boat.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brendan

Agreed RE no hardware in those conditions.

Vince

Quote from: Keta on April 22, 2016, 09:58:58 PM
Where do you live Vince?

I live 20 minutes from Alan's house (up in palo alto currently). Im limited to one rod mainly because my fishing buddy is in charge of bringing the poles while I bring the cooler/vacuum packer :P. He doesnt have space for more rods apparently. Otherwise I would have brought more rods!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vince on April 23, 2016, 05:25:42 AM
Where do you live Vince?

I live 20 minutes from Alan's house (up in palo alto currently). Im limited to one rod mainly because my fishing buddy is in charge of bringing the poles while I bring the cooler/vacuum packer :P. He doesnt have space for more rods apparently. Otherwise I would have brought more rods!

Bummer about the space. We probably could set you up with some older gear (myself) or some newer gear (Alan) as I live 20 minutes from Alan myself further down 280
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Vince on April 23, 2016, 05:25:42 AM
Where do you live Vince?

Then loaning you one of mine rods won't work.

Mark Twain