Surfmaster 150 drag washers

Started by dono, March 01, 2011, 01:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dono

I finally got some spare time and decided to try and fix up an old Surfmaster 150 that used to belong to my grandfather. It's the first time I ever took a reel apart but I figured I could do it using some of the great info on this board. Thanks. Anyways I got it apart and cleaned up. When I went to install the new drag washers, the 6-60's that are specified in the schematic were way too big, maybe by about 1/8th of an inch. Also, the ht-100's are so much thicker than the old (really flat) washers that are in there I don't see how even if I got the right diamater washers I'm not sure I could squeeze the ht-100's in there. Also, the schematic for the 150 shows a dog spring but mine had a small piece of metal instead. That took me a good hour to get back in. If anyone has any ideas for the drag washers I'd appreciate it. The reel is in good shape but there is very little range of adjustment for the drag although it still does handle some good size fish. I'd love to get it working right because every time I look at the reel it reminds of my grandfather. Thanks.

alantani

you need a set of 155's.  if i can get your address, i will send you a set. send a pm.   also, you have a 6/0 senator style dog spring.  this should get you through. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Ditto on Alan's reply for the 155's.

Try putting the drag stack back together with the new washers. If it's too tall you can usually leave out the Belleville (#8) without any problem.
Let us know if it works.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

If the new drags are the right diameter and too tall , you could probably shave the spacing sleeve a bit, it should work.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dono

Thanks to everyone for the info. It's very much appreciated!

alantani

dono, i'll put a new set of drag washers in the mail to you.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!