TR200G Carbon washers

Started by bgreen, April 23, 2016, 07:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Hi just wondering if carbon washer upgrade kits are available for the TR200G reel and if these are worth upgrading too.  This reel suits be for kayak fishing but would be keen on a reel with smoother and stronger drag.  Also same questions above for the TR100G.  If so...where is best to order these I live in New Zealand so postage needs to be factored in..... Thanks for your help....Bruce

Bryan Young

I would try

New Zealand:
Hunt's Sports Store
52 East Coast Rd Sheriff's Hill
Milford, Auckland 9
New Zealand
Phone: 9-410-9415
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

If you can find Penn HT-100 drag washers for a Penn 965 Baitcaster, they are a direct fit in the TR200 -- and they make a world of difference.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Thanks Bill. I couldn't remember the PENN size.

How was your tuna trip Bill?  I saw some pictures of you and your tuna.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bgreen

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2016, 07:28:31 AM
I would try

New Zealand:
Hunt's Sports Store
52 East Coast Rd Sheriff's Hill
Milford, Auckland 9
New Zealand
Phone: 9-410-9415

Thanks I will get in contact with them....regards

bgreen

Quote from: akfish on April 23, 2016, 10:24:02 AM
If you can find Penn HT-100 drag washers for a Penn 965 Baitcaster, they are a direct fit in the TR200 -- and they make a world of difference.

Thanks I will look into that if I can't find a specific kit...cheers

akfish

The tuna trip was frustrating: I lost 4 big fish -- like after an hour fight on each one -- on Day 1 to sharks. But things finally worked out ok if not great. My biggest fish was about 175 and I caught a few more over 100. Lots of wahoo; I put 8 in the boat myself. Back to topic: The Penn part numbers for the TR200 drag washers are 006 965 (two are needed) and 006B965 (one is needed). I just leave in the Shimano drag washer under the main gear because that reel really can't take any more drag than you get with the 006 965 drag washers. I grease everything with Cal's Grease, of course.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bgreen

Quote from: akfish on April 24, 2016, 02:30:55 PM
The tuna trip was frustrating: I lost 4 big fish -- like after an hour fight on each one -- on Day 1 to sharks. But things finally worked out ok if not great. My biggest fish was about 175 and I caught a few more over 100. Lots of wahoo; I put 8 in the boat myself. Back to topic: The Penn part numbers for the TR200 drag washers are 006 965 (two are needed) and 006B965 (one is needed). I just leave in the Shimano drag washer under the main gear because that reel really can't take any more drag than you get with the 006 965 drag washers. I grease everything with Cal's Grease, of course.

Thanks AK

Dominick

Bill don't forget we love to live vicariously through photos.  Let's see those fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

akfish

I didn't take any pictures myself, but I'm shown within fish on the Red Rooster website. Scroll through the fishing report on the last trip of the season and you'll see me kneeling with a fish in the dark. The bite was very good at o' dark thirty on the PL68 jig. I lost 4 jigs to sharks that got my tuna...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bgreen

Well I got a set of carbon washers for the TR200g and have replaced them... one question though re the replacement washers. One of the original washers had small tabs on the outer edge of the washer.. the replacement one does not... when are tabs necessary or are they not necessary at all?  Looking at eventually cutting my own using hollow punches.

Thanks for your advice... Bruce

Tiddlerbasher

Tabs are necessary on cf washers when they are locked to the spool. Many spinners use this method. The steel washers (without tabs) are locked to the spindle by being keyed. This will effectively increase the pressure surfaces i.e. more drag. The common alternative is to have freely rotating cf washers with keyed steel washers. Not so much drag but easier to produce.

bgreen

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 02, 2016, 07:48:36 AM
Tabs are necessary on cf washers when they are locked to the spool. Many spinners use this method. The steel washers (without tabs) are locked to the spindle by being keyed. This will effectively increase the pressure surfaces i.e. more drag. The common alternative is to have freely rotating cf washers with keyed steel washers. Not so much drag but easier to produce.

Thanks for clarifying... makes sense