My Apple

Started by DaBigOno, April 24, 2016, 11:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

That's one eye-popping reel, Ono! Fish it in good health.

If I may ask, where did you get that crimson drag star?? Just beautiful... Is it custom, or commercially available?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

STRIPER LOU

Big Al, that reel is SOWEET!!!!! If nobody gets the chance to make lug blanks I will make some in the fall.
Regards,  ..  Lou

vilters

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 25, 2016, 02:01:55 AM
Lee, you may need to cut more than a pair.

I'd like a pair please!  :) Christmas came early again, these plates are beeeuutiful! thanks Tom!!!!!

cbar45

Quote from: DaBigOno on April 25, 2016, 03:46:24 AM

Im looking forward to seeing your threads of your builds David...  and all the other folks on here that ordered these Cortez Side Plates, please post pics of your builds  ;)

It's going to be awhile. I have a pair of side plates coming in, but my only 4/0 is laying in pieces in a box somewhere. Isn't that how it starts?..;)

Nice breakdown of new parts installed, as well as the different options for gears and drags.

Chad

DaBigOno

Quote from: Aiala on April 25, 2016, 04:12:19 PM
That's one eye-popping reel, Ono! Fish it in good health.
If I may ask, where did you get that crimson drag star?? Just beautiful... Is it custom, or commercially available?   :)

Aiala, I actually had that red star and handle in one of those boxes in my garage. 

But you can normally find these aluminum ones on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANODIZED-T6061-ALUMINUM-STAR-DRAG-WHEEL-PENN-113H-970-320-4-0-PRO-GEAR-10-349/201369966854?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36461%26meid%3D24de4bd010b94c2fa97439e1f7008228%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D201369966854

only thing is I would caution about using those because they can easily be stripped out when "buttoning down" the drag

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 25, 2016, 04:20:30 PM
Big Al, that reel is SOWEET!!!!! If nobody gets the chance to make lug blanks I will make some in the fall.
Regards,  ..  Lou
Lou, if you an make some lug blanks that look anything like those handles that you made, I'm looking forward to it.  i think a lot of us on this site will be.

Quote from: cbar45 on April 25, 2016, 11:09:27 PM
it's going to be awhile. I have a pair of side plates coming in, but my only 4/0 is laying in pieces in a box somewhere. Isn't that how it starts?..;)
Nice breakdown of new parts installed, as well as the different options for gears and drags.
Chad
Whats up Hawaiian!  if you need something, let me know.  I'll help out wherever i can...  shakaz'
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Our 4/0's have now a lot more horsepower.
Those stars do look nice, but personally, I would not put them on reels that would be fished. For the shelf it's another story.
I have a couple in one of the box with tripped threads.

Aluminum stars do not like stainless steel gear sleeves.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

anglingarchitect

Alumn handles don't work well with ss sleeves either i upgraded a couple of handles the stainless wore the holes out.

Shark Hunter

Great Job on that Cherry Al! ;)
I mean Apple.
Life is Good!

Yogi_fish808

The new cortez plates look great on your reel! My Ice blues are gonna be on the side for a little while while I gather up the parts for her and finish up a few other projects. I hear you on uneven line lay for the 113hlw width, I thought I was good at keeping it flat until I had a fish on...then it started looking like a baseball forming on my spool. 

David Hall

Just get your thumb trained to keep moving!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 26, 2016, 12:09:46 AM
Our 4/0's have now a lot more horsepower.
Those stars do look nice, but personally, I would not put them on reels that would be fished. For the shelf it's another story.
I have a couple in one of the box with tripped threads.
Aluminum stars do not like stainless steel gear sleeves.
Sal

Quote from: anglingarchitect on April 26, 2016, 01:23:17 AM
Alumn handles don't work well with ss sleeves either i upgraded a couple of handles the stainless wore the holes out.

I agree with you both on the aluminum star and handle.

unfortunately, i live in a house where i need to justify to my wife that its a fishing reel and not just something thats going to collect dust in the garage like so many other stuff in those boxes.  i live by that saying "a happy wife, is a happy life" and i like it that way.

I do have another 4/0 that i actually fish without worrying about getting any 'boat rash' on it.  Full-Accurate frame, Keta-Krank with Alan's handle, Adam's star, Black Pearl's Gears & a SS gear sleeve.  Last year i fished it with Bryan's 7+1 drag kit in it.  Now it has Adam's insert drag kit.   Maybe it will get Chui's Double Dog Bridge and 2nd generation gear & drag set that we have been waiting for.

and if you notice, it has a set of SS harness lugs that been cut & filed down

it just doesn't look clean when i put them on my new apple...

but, my intentions with my apple is to fill it up with 50 lb mono, take it on a boat ride, catch a nice yellow or tuna;  then i'll be able to put it on a box in the garage for 10-15 years with offending the wife.  ;D

Maxed Out

Al, you have a couple very nice looking reels for sure. The "lugless" look is one I've always liked. Have you tried using an outer ring on the inside ? You'd have to grind off the inner flanges on the holes on those outer rings, but nobody will know cause they will be hidden under the frame. Just a thought. I tried it on a laboratory reel and it worked great and completey eliminates the lug slot.

Here is a pic of that ring after I ground off the inner flanges on those holes in the outer ring
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

DaBigOno

Sweet!   Thanks for the tip Ted.  I have a few inner rings I can experiment with.

Maxed Out

Quote from: DaBigOno on April 29, 2016, 12:47:25 AM
Sweet!   Thanks for the tip Ted.  I have a few inner rings I can experiment with.

Al, please post up a pic of the finished product if this works for you.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

I would put the ring on a firm smooth surface, I use a 1/2" thick UHMW sheet, smack the protrusions with a plastic punch to flatten them then drill out the hole if needed using a 7/64" drill bit.

I found a lug blank drawing in my files and it is at the cutter now.  It also looks like he test cut pairs the  last time but I do not remember having them on the cutting order.  They look good so I will cut more.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain