6/0 Hot Rod Question - Is Adding More Drag Washers Possible

Started by snookcatcher1, March 02, 2011, 06:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snookcatcher1

On some of the smaller Penn Reels you can Dremmel out a little more room in the side plate to make a tad more room for extra drag washers.  Is that possible with the larger Penns, like the 6/0?  If so, what would be needed?  Just one more Ht-100 washer and a stainless washer or could 2 more HT-100's be added and 2 stainless :D ?  That'd be sick!  Ooooor even more?

If the 6/0 and 9/0 will get about 25# of drag with the HT-100 + 1 set with the Stainless Gear Sleeve, what would hold it back from pulling 30# if another set of washers could be added?  I guess one of the downsides might be that the strength of the side plate could lose integrity if too much was bored out.  Is that a realistic danger?

And now I'm just realizing that if the added/extra EARED stainless washer can't reach and lock into the grooves of the main gear that it would all be for nothing.  I've read that it is possible to bend the washer ears down to grab into the groove of main gear.  Any thoughts? And how would you do this?

Bryan Young

Quote from: snookcatcher1 on March 02, 2011, 06:04:20 PM
On some of the smaller Penn Reels you can Dremmel out a little more room in the side plate to make a tad more room for extra drag washers.  Is that possible with the larger Penns, like the 6/0?  If so, what would be needed?  Just one more Ht-100 washer and a stainless washer or could 2 more HT-100's be added and 2 stainless :D ?  That'd be sick!  Ooooor even more?

If the 6/0 and 9/0 will get about 25# of drag with the HT-100 + 1 set with the Stainless Gear Sleeve, what would hold it back from pulling 30# if another set of washers could be added?  I guess one of the downsides might be that the strength of the side plate could lose integrity if too much was bored out.  Is that a realistic danger?

And now I'm just realizing that if the added/extra EARED stainless washer can't reach and lock into the grooves of the main gear that it would all be for nothing.  I've read that it is possible to bend the washer ears down to grab into the groove of main gear.  Any thoughts? And how would you do this?

What are you thinking in the stack?  5 + 1 or 7 + 1?

It is possible, but you will need to get 0.4 mm thick drag washers.  I'm not sure if Dawn has them in the 6/0 size, but you could probably cut them from sheets if she doesn't (which Dawn also has).

Regarding boring out the side plate, it will affect the stress distribution, but most of the stress will be near t spool bearing in conjunction of the brideg plate, so my buess, is that it would be a calculated risk.

With regards to the 9/0, I think it look something like this

(Photo borrowed from Sal's 16/0 rebuild)

Again, it's possible but I'm not sure if your gear sleeve will be long enough  You many need to reduce the height of the spacing sleeve or pressure plate washer.

Not sure what you could get in regard to drag setting though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

dawn has lots of thin washers.  without a doubt, we could hobble something together, but you should be able to get 30#'s of drag with the stock greased washers.  the number of washers inside the main gear has to be an odd number for the stack to work properly.  that's why you will always see a 1+1, 1+3, 1+5 or 1+7 drag stack configuration.  metal washers have to alternate "keyed, eared, keyed, etc.  let's stick with the stock configuration for now and see how if fishes.  i'm betting you'll be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

snookcatcher1

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 02, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
Are you talking about the 114 6/0 or the 114H 6/0?

My question was about a 114H 6/0.  Not sure if that makes a difference in how one would hot rod it ... ? ???

Alto Mare

Yes, that does make a difference. The 114h earlier models came with the easy access drags, similar to the plate that Bryan posted for you, what that means is that you can replace the drags just by removing the handle. The later model requires you to crack it open to replace the drags. Either way, you shouldn't have any problem installing 1 and 5 or 1 and 7 drag stock configuration. The 114 has smaller gears, but I'm sure, if that was the case Alan would come up with something to make it work as well. I'm assuming you now have the 1 and 3 configuration, if that's the case, the metal washers are too thick and will need to be replaced in order to increase the stock configuration. Did you open this reel up? If you have the HT100's ,you probably already have 1 and 5 stock configuration.Either way , you should already be in the 30#'s, as Alan mentioned. I hope this is helpful to you, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

snookcatcher1

Yes - I've opened it up and replaced the old drag with the (5 + 1) Ht-100 set.  I'll have to get some line on it and see what the reel can do.  You guys are amazing!  Thx very much for all your help and interest.  I guess I'm at the place where I have to test this thing out and see what drag # it will pull.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 05, 2011, 03:01:30 AM
......... The 114h earlier models came with the easy access drags, similar to the plate that Bryan posted for you, what that means is that you can replace the drags just by removing the handle. The later model requires you to crack it open to replace the drags. ...........

Sal, don't forget the old maroon 114H's have to be taken apart to play with the drags, too. But it builds character. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

You're right Rob,  I was referring to the 114H Special Senator introduced in the 60's with the special design that permitted easy access to the drags without removing the side plate, the 113H was also introduced at that time with the same design. The 114H that you're referring to was introduced after the 50th anniversary, and yes that model also had maroon plates, but you had to open it to  service the drags. Take care, Sal ;D