Penn GLS 40

Started by Alex from GA, April 27, 2016, 11:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex from GA

I've had a GLS 40 and Penn converted it to a 45 many years ago.  I didn't use the reel for many years and got it out, cleaned and oiled/greased it and used it for grouper fishing last winter.  When under load, medium drag, the reel is much harder to crank than my fishing partners Shimano TLD 20s.  What can I do to free it up under load.  It free spools fine.  I only offshore fish a couple of times a year and can't afford a new reel, in fact I sold all my Senators and a 2 speed 50.  I use 40 lb mono on the GLS.  Thanks.

akfish

Odds are that your pinion bearing is bad. That is extremely common in lever drag reels. It will go bad if you push the drag too high or get some saltwater in the bearing. It's a simple fix but you will need a new bearing. I'm sure that MysticParts.com has them in stock.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

FatTuna

If the preset is where it's supposed to be and the handle feels tight to turn, replacing that bearing is a safe bet.
Might be some corrosion in general inside.

Even if the bearing looks good in your hand, I'd still replace it. Personally, I can't tell just by looking at them. I have to ramp up the lever and feel the reel to judge it.

Alex from GA

Thanks, I'll replace the bearing.

Alex from GA

I replaced the pinion bearing, cleaned and lubed it and it's still much harder to turn loaded than not.  What now?  I'm planning on using it this winter in FL.

akfish

You might check the left side spool bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska