Penn Senator 116L (12/0)

Started by Alto Mare, March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Thanks Albert,
I am on a two week vacation, and have been rebuilding reels like crazy. I have my second 14/0 on the way.
I have a 9/0, a 12 and a 14 all spooled up with new drags and rods ready to catch some big sharks.
I decided to go with straight 130lb mono on the 14. This will eliminate the topshot, so I can tie on my rig directly.
I am afraid the knots won't pass through the rollers on my rod. It is a 160 lb, 6' Okiaya rod. My wife got it for me for Christmas.
I have some really nice rigs. 6' of 480 lb cable,  double crimped with 20/0 circle hooks.
1500 yards of 100lb power pro on the 9 and 100 lb mono on the 12.
I also have a nice 6/0 high speed on a Penn Mariner rod.
Thats four complete rigs ready to rock, with backup reels for each rig.
Life is Good!

Makule

For most shore based fishing, we use mono, including fairly hefty stuff.  We always attach at least 10' of very heavy leader line (e.g., 250 lb mono) before the hook, and another 1' of SS wire to the hook (if you want to catch sharks).  We find shark skin can abrade through mono, and the teeth will cut the mono easily.  For other game fish, we'll leave off the wire so that the shark will cut the hook off and we don't need to struggle with it as long.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

You need a longer leader than 6'. some of my casting leaders are that length. That would make a good bite section, now you just need at least a 15ft running leader of 400lb+ mono
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

400 lb mono? I'm not trying to catch Moby Dick! I have a spool of Billfisher 200 lb that should work just fine.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Albert,
I have my second 14/0 all done and ready to go. I put the aluminum power handle on it and it looks pretty sweet. I have my first one on a boss hoss 160lb rated rod. The problem I am having is the rod reel seat isn't thick enough to handle the 14/0. I shimmed it up with some really tough rubber lagging that we use to coat the machine drums at my work. It should work fine considering the reel braces have this baby in check. I have recently aquired a cherry 16/0. What rod do I need to get to match up to this beast? The shorter the better. I want to be able to work the fish, not pump it with a rod longer than 5'6".
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 09, 2013, 04:57:34 AM
400 lb mono? I'm not trying to catch Moby Dick! I have a spool of Billfisher 200 lb that should work just fine.

I don't shark fish but I'd say the 400lb is not for breaking strength it's for abrasion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

+1 Lee. Sharks have a tendency to roll up in the leader. Thats why the chafing leader is longer than the shark targeted usually.  Some people use 15 to 20 feet of .95 weedeater line instead of 400lb mono. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

If your seat is too small, I wouldn't use that rod :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

It clamped in the reel seat OK, its just the diameter of the rod. It is less than 1/4 of an inch that the rod clamp didn't touch the rod.
I tried registering on SOS to get some input on this. I can't get an email back.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 23, 2013, 09:15:51 AM
It clamped in the reel seat OK, its just the diameter of the rod. It is less than 1/4 of an inch that the rod clamp didn't touch the rod.
I tried registering on SOS to get some input on this. I can't get an email back.
Try again, im a member there. Weve had a few site problems. That 200lb will get abraded through. The other guys are right, the 400lb+ is for abrasion resistance
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Wow!
After reading some of my first posts. You guys sure have a lot of patience. If I ever win the Lottery. The next Royal Star trip will be on me and you all will be invited! Thanks for all your help guys and I am trying to pay it forward to newcomers who were like me. That's what this site is all about! ;)
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Well, i will be adding a 12/0 in the next month or so. Its about 3yrs old and been fished once. I will need some help with double dogs this winter ;D And Daron, dont worry. We still love you. I hate to imagine what i was like when i first go started on fishing forums :o
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I saw your post on the dragmaster thread. Why is it spooled with 100? I have mine currently spooled with straight 130lb and use a 30' 400 lb sliding trace leader with 12' of wire or cable crimped onto that.
Elwin has his spooled with 600 yards of 200 lb JB, then topped with 150lb grand slam, and you see what his can do! ;)
I looked to spool one of mine the same way, but that JB cost a fortune! $200 for 600 yards! :o
That's what I paid for the reel!
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Where did you quote the jb from? And a lot of people use 100, close to 1000yds of line
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Ok, I take that back, Its $119.99 at alltackle. 600 yards of 200 lb JB Hollow.
How do you splice this stuff to mono? I know the mono goes inside, but then what?
Do you tie it?, glue it?
I think I'm going with Elwin's setup. If you want to fish 100lb. Go for it. I just know with straight 130, this thing is a Beast! That's what Sharkgirl used on her 14 and 12 at the BHC this year and she did pretty good.
I don't mean to be a copycat, but I don't have anyone close to me to teach me the tricks of the trade.
I have to learn it online. ;)
Life is Good!