Penn Senator 116L (12/0)

Started by Alto Mare, March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I only want to use the Kayak to get my bait out. My rod will be at shore. I can't think of any other way to get it out far enough to where the Sharks are. 200 yards or so, depends on the sand bars.
I was going to get an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT, But I have seen some bad reviews about them listing to one side from the molding process not being right.
What kind of rod holder do you guys use to stay in the sand?
My wife will be holding the rod til I get back in from dropping the bait.
Hopefully, I won't get a hit until I make it back to Shore.
I'll have the drag set light, just in case.
I'm rebuilding 3, 12/0's tonight. I will post some pics.
Life is Good!

Keta

I wish I could help but you should go to a kyak fishing web site for better answers.  Kyak fishing looks like a blast, a few years ago a friend hauled a few yaks out to albacore fish, they had a good trip.

My belt and plate are made in SE Oregon by Smitty, I like the large Braid plates better but the Smitty belt is the best I've used.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 08, 2012, 08:51:17 PM
I only want to use the Kayak to get my bait out. My rod will be at shore. I can't think of any other way to get it out far enough to where the Sharks are. 200 yards or so, depends on the sand bars.

Oh OK!....that sounds better.
Maybe Makule could chime in, that old man has some experience with that type of fishing ;D
Albert?....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

You can get a bait out with a boat, kayak, paddle it out on a standup paddle board or surfboard, float it out using a cardboard box or inflated balloon or garbage bag, swim it out ( kinda creepy especially at night) or cast it out. You would be surprised at the sharks near the beach between the shore and sandbar at night. I've seen some pretty big ones when wading with a flounder light at night almost on the beach. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Sal,
I did what you said and replaced every thing in the reel. The yoke,jack,springs,lever,clutch springs. It didn't work.
Evidently, this is a reel made in the forty's. It has a slick side,Amber handle, No fish or boat on the side. It was so stiff, I put it all back in except for the dog and unbent spring and it works good now.
As far as the 7 drag stup, It absolutely will not work in  this reel. I have tried taking out several drag washers and metal washers. It isn't happening. It makes it impossible to reel freely. The original 5 drag setup works flawlessly and thats what I'm sticking with. I have had this reel apart at least a dozen times and am tired of making new school tactics work on old school reels.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Hello Shark Hunter, the earlier reels had the fish and boat on the side, they also came with bushings instead of ball bearing. Never the less, you should have no problems installing everything that we mentioned, regardless of age. Did you purchase the thinner 7-116 washers to convert into a 1+7? I believe Scott has them as a kit. If possible, can you post some shots of what you're using and doing?
Don't get too upset about having to do it a dozen time, just in case you lose power when servicing in the future, you'll still be able to do the job ;) ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: George4741 on December 05, 2012, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2012, 01:08:59 PM

I just placed another order to scotts. It seems like every order I place is at least 60 dollars.

I think most of us know what you mean. ;)  

For those guys who want 60lb of drag, what are you using for line?  200lb test?  
When your gettin spooled, you want to stop what could be a fish of a lifetime. Shot on SOS theres two guys, one with a okuma makaira 80w and the other with a 50w T-REX that have pulled over 100lbs on test. Yeah i also wanna see the kayak/harness video ;D And i even swim baits ut sometimes, talk about scary :o
Grayson Lanier

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 08, 2012, 08:51:17 PM
I was going to get an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT, But I have seen some bad reviews about them listing to one side from the molding process not being right.
What kind of rod holder do you guys use to stay in the sand?
As for kayaks, the 11.5 tribe seems to be pretty good, im gonna try and get one soon. The best for bigger people seems to be the cobra fish and dive, you need to paddle a few before you decide. Rod holders, 2in pvc or galvinised ones work the best for big rods
Grayson Lanier

George4741

Shark Hunter,
If a 1+5 drag is all you can fit, then it'll still be superior to the original asbestos.  Do some pull tests and you may be pleasantly surprised.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

The upgraded 1+7 will give him a smoother drag, I don't see any reason why he can't. The gears and clutch assembly are exactly the same today as they were 80 years ago...that's why Penn are on a league of their own ;)

Keta

5+1 beats 3+1 every time, especialy when the 5+1 is CF and the 3+1 is the old and most likely asbestos drag washers....7
+1 is even better.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Keta

There will come to a point where we start tearing the ears off supper thin eared washers but I think we have enough metal with the 9+1, we will see.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

No alterations needed on this one for the 1+9, the 10/0 and up have planty of room for the standard metal that comes with the 1+7, we just  need the Carbon Fiber to be a little thinner.

Keta

Then a 11+1 is a possibility.  I wouldn't go much thinner on the metal washers than the .035 ones I have im my 349s and soon in one 114HN.

Mark Twain