Anyone have a good technique for separating two piece rods?

Started by FatTuna, May 03, 2016, 11:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I have a pair of bent butt rods that are both stuck. Anyone know a good trick to separate them?

Marcq

Quote from: FatTuna on May 03, 2016, 11:23:03 PM
I have a pair of bent butt rods that are both stuck. Anyone know a good trick to separate them?

Did you try the ice treatment ?
Marc..

Dominick

Heat from a hair dryer on the female side and ice on the male side.  Put rod behind your knees.  Grip rod on each side of your knees and spread your knees in a slightly squat position putting pressure on both sides.  That should do it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

theswimmer

Quote from: Dominick on May 03, 2016, 11:36:00 PM
Heat from a hair dryer on the female side and ice on the male side.  Put rod behind your knees.  Grip rod on each side of your knees and spread your knees in a slightly squat position putting pressure on both sides.  That should do it.  Dominick

Yup, that.
Works every time.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tiddlerbasher

Keta

If the nut is jammed put penetrating oil on it and use a strap wrench to get it loose.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ruffy

Is there a preferred way of treating the join before hand to stop this happening? Wax? A bit of grease? I wouldn't want one coming apart at the wrong time but then it's annoying when you can't separate them.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dominick

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 03, 2016, 11:56:05 PM
Dominick - I didn't realise you were that flexible ;D
Didn't you know that zin is a good relaxant?  I can do this after 1/2 of a bottle.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

cbar45

Quote from: FatTuna on May 03, 2016, 11:23:03 PM

I would try a penetrant like Kroil, and carefully tap all around the joint with something like a rubber mallet.

If the join is via one of those old Varmac two-piece reel seats, you'd probably be better off replacing the entire ferrule.

Those were prone to corrosion, and once saltwater sets in the parts literally fuse together.

I've never been successful in separating one of those, but if it's just be an overly-tight fit you might have better luck.

FatTuna

Both nuts are free. I used a strap wrench on them. I will try the ice and blow dryer trick first. Thanks guys.

Keta

When you get them apart put a small O ring on the male end to help keep water out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

Quote from: Keta on May 04, 2016, 03:14:11 AM
When you get them apart put a small O ring on the male end to help keep water out.

That's a good call. I bet that would work well.

conchydong

I recently used a product made by CRC called Freeze Off on a fan blade that was stuck to the motor shaft on a AC condensing unit. Haven't tried it on marine or reel parts yet but so far so good.

fishhawk

As far as pre-treatment on preventing them from getting stuck all us old-timers down here in texas use the oil that gathers in the  crease of your nose!
Mark

Bryan Young

I gotta try that freeze off.  Looks like good stuff.

Regarding pre-treatement, I would grease the ferule, but only for screw type ferule.  I would not do anything for friction joints.  Friction joints will create a vacuum and those things may never come off.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D