Adding anti reverse bearing in an avet

Started by Cowbass, March 04, 2011, 05:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowbass

I've been reading some complaining about avets sloppy antireverse when jigging.. Also was reading that canyon reels are tighter due to an antireverse bearing. Since the reels are so similar I thought I'd ask, has anyone ever replaced avet bearings with the antireverse ones to try and correct this or tighten it up? Would it even be possible? Alan, this might be a question for you.. Any thoughts appricated. Thanks
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

alantani

there IS enough room.  i am not aware of anyone trying it, though.  if you are looking for a reel with an anti-reverse bearing and a spring loaded double dog, the first reel that comes to mind is a modified trinidad 40 narrow.  i just send one to a fella that jigs for bluefin out of virginia. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cowbass

Thanks Alan, I have a jx raptor that I'm gonna use for some jigging already.. Are these bearings available through dawn or boca? I may give it a try and see what happens!!!
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

alantani

there is enough room, but you may be looking at some milling work.  honestly, it would be a major undertaking.  it would involve a whole new side plate.  which actually might not be such a bad idea.  we could put a thrust bearing under the right main side plate bearing while we're at it.   sorry, i am guessing that there is no "drop in" bearing that would work.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cowbass

Ok I had thought maybe possible just to drop something in, just to tighten it up.. Honestly I havent experienced this yet because it's new... I don't do enough jigging to justify doing all that work. Seems weird that avet wouldn't carry the same design all the way through there line of reels. My 30's and 50's are completely tight with zero play. Thanks for your help
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!