3/0 112H drag question

Started by RonRico, May 06, 2016, 04:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonRico

OK, I'm building a 112H on an Accuframe and want to get the most drag possible. I bought a used (I know, I know) 5-washer drag stack from ebay, the washers are REALLY thin, both metal and carbon. After lubing them with Cal's and getting everything assembled, the highest I can get so far is 14 pounds. Does that sound about right?
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

MarkT

Yes, but consider it a good starting point, not the ultimate.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Unless you have a stainless sleeve in there. That sounds about right or you'll round the end of the brass sleeve off with higher numbers.
The washers have to be thin to fit a 5 stack in there.
You want to go all out, put a steel gear, stainless sleeve and an insert kit in there.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12612.0
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

14 pounds of drag so sounds good, it will allow you to fish 40 lb test, and push it to 50 lb
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

RonRico

Thanks guys.

Shark Hunter, I should have posted details above! I did install an aftermarket stainless gear sleeve and stainless gears from an old Jigmaster. Right now it looks EXACTLY like yours in the first two photos.

Now I need to find a better handle...
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

MarkT

Check out one of Alan's 3/0 handle with a Keta crank. I have of those handles on a crank from somewhere here. Big improvement! The fish's interface with the reel is the drag while your's is the handle.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: RonRico on May 07, 2016, 12:53:03 AM
Thanks guys.

Shark Hunter, I should have posted details above! I did install an aftermarket stainless gear sleeve and stainless gears from an old Jigmaster. Right now it looks EXACTLY like yours in the first two photos.

Now I need to find a better handle...
You could stretch the numbers a bit, this one gets to around 20lb and can handle it.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12441.msg122036#msg122036
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.