Fantastic Day Fishing on the Pier, and a Picnic

Started by ChileRelleno, May 08, 2016, 09:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: CapeFish on May 09, 2016, 10:59:19 AM
Excellent thanks, epic pic of that tarpon jumping! Why does no one fish with  heavier tackle if there are such beasts swimming around? Everyone seems to be using light spinning outfits?
Plenty of King and Cobia outfits there, and mine was on my cart. 8' Hvy with a Penn 8500SS 30# mono for Cobes and a 7' MH with a Penn 7500SS with 16# mono for Kings.
But when the Spanish are chewing down the pier you grab the right outfit for the job of slinging lures, jigs and bubble rigs, i.e. a 7-8" M-MH with a fast action, 8-12# line on a 3000-5000 reel.

Of course Fishzilla strikes when I'm fishing a medium setup.  :D
I was using an 7.5' M fast action with a Penn 5500SS with 12# mono.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

CapeFish

Murphy strikes again  :D Must say all those outfits to me look like freshwater bass outfits  ;D

ChileRelleno

Quote from: CapeFish on May 09, 2016, 02:10:14 PM
Murphy strikes again  :D Must say all those outfits to me look like freshwater bass outfits  ;D
I can assure you that there are indeed a lot of Bass, Cat, Musky and other such FW outfits at any given time on the pier's.
It's what 80% of the fishing touristas bring, but they generally don't sport pier csrts.
Most handle the Inshore action just fine.

Look around lots of $500-$1000 Shimanos, Van Staals and other high end reels out there.
But dominated by generations of Penn, Shimano, Quantum and Mitchell.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."