Protecting Your Assets (and your reel)

Started by Maxed Out, May 08, 2016, 12:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I been pondering a way to have better protection from the seemingly unavoidable gouge in the sideplate from the shift lever slapping hard against it.

Tubing seems to work ok, but I've found it has a tendency to fall off and get lost....so I got out my most powerful tools and went to work. First I removed the stub on top of the lever and found some stainless stock and cut a new top portion out of it and peened it back in place. Then I found some neoprene shrink wrap and gave it a try and no more tubing protector required. Turned out ok and just thought I'd share my wild dream with the family  ;D ;D  Sal probably already knew this trick ;) ;)

Toms plates deserve the best and nothing less. Here's a pic of the process and 3 of Toms 4/0's with the penn ;) ;) shifter

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

..................then after I got done day dreaming, I called Scotts and put in an order for a handful of 113mtl shift levers.  ;D ;D ;D....They fit a 113H like a glove

I admit it, I suck at fabricating stuff. I leave that to the experts

Ted

Alto Mare

Haha...you got me on that one Ted. I was saying to myself how a heck did he do such a neat job?
Those look sweet!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

On my old Pro Gear reels I used a piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. I cut it a hair long so as it is heated it shrinks into the right position. It's still on some of the reels.

Thanks Ted..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

It is really the only part left that needed a finished look.  Ordered a few too!  Looks much better than the stock one.
><)))">

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 08, 2016, 12:23:56 AM
..................then after I got done day dreaming, I called Scotts and put in an order for a handful of 113mtl shift levers.  ;D ;D ;D....They fit a 113H like a glove

I admit it, I suck at fabricating stuff. I leave that to the experts

Ted

LOL nice one, I know some AT guys do magic on their reel
The Baja Guy

day0ne

I've used multiple layers of normal heatshrink on the stock lever with no problem.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Maxed Out

FYI

These also fit on Toms Jigmasters