Magging a Squidder

Started by thorhammer, May 09, 2016, 10:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: SantaBarbarian on December 16, 2016, 11:41:07 PM
I ended up removing them because I found it inhibited free spool too much for live bait fishing which is what I use it for. If you're jig fishing, it's the way to go.

Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm curious, what is it about live bait fishing that demands so much free spool? The fish is so fast that it pulls tight against the braking? Sounds exciting.

MarkT

It's all about successfully casting the bait into the zone.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mo65

There are more myths and half truths surrounding the reel magging subject than one can shake a stick at. For a more complete understanding of it all just google "Lenz's Law". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ez2cdave

Quote from: Decker on December 16, 2016, 07:41:25 PM
Couple of strange questions...

• I heard that the Penn aluminum spools respond better to magging than the Newell ones.  Any experience with that?
  • Any experience magging with a bakelite spool... wait, I'm not a physics flunkie...  I saw a posting where someone magging a jigmaster added steel washers to the side of an aluminum spool to increase the braking power against the spool.  Also, I heard of a guy on another forum epoxing a copper ring to the side of a plastic spool for magging.  What is the point, you might ask?   I have lots of plastic spools, and aluminum ones can be pricey, and I'm a cheapskate  ;D and like finding new ways ::)

But maybe I need to stop asking questions and start experimenting!

A dear, departed friend of mine, who went by the online name "Grampa Ol'Spookasan" has great information on magging non-metal spools.

Thanks to the "Wayback Machine" . . .

https://web.archive.org/web/20051023090420/http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/latestmag.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20050911002914/http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/pennmag.html

Tight Lines !

mhc

Probably a little late for John's buddy's squidder but I measured the gap between a squidder bridge and a penn aluminium spool when I was looking at installing dog posts recently. I came up with 2.6mm gap when the spool is centred in a Cortez Classic 146. The neodymium magnets are available in 1.0, 1.5, & 2 mm thickness (and thicker) which means there is room for thin rare earth magnets. You could use thin 0.5 mm magnetic washers epoxied to the bridge with 1 or 1.5 mm thick magnets mounted on them. I had a few 7 x 2mm thick N50 magnets handy so I put one directly on the back of the gear sleeve post to try it.

The spool clears the magnet while it is centered, although it starts to touch/rub with approx 1/3 of a turn of the bearing cup towards the right. I haven't magged a reel before, but if having the magnet close to the spool is better, this is pretty close.  

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike - The closer a magnet is the more breaking is generated. The grade of the magnet also has an effect. Typically rare earth magnets (neodymium) come in 3 grades N38, N42 and N50 - the higher the number the better the performance. You will also find that thicker magnets generate more power.

ez2cdave

Quote from: mhc on February 12, 2017, 09:47:54 AM
Probably a little late for John's buddy's squidder but I measured the gap between a squidder bridge and a penn aluminium spool when I was looking at installing dog posts recently. I came up with 2.6mm gap when the spool is centred in a Cortez Classic 146. The neodymium magnets are available in 1.0, 1.5, & 2 mm thickness (and thicker) which means there is room for thin rare earth magnets. You could use thin 0.5 mm magnetic washers epoxied to the bridge with 1 or 1.5 mm thick magnets mounted on them. I had a few 7 x 2mm thick N50 magnets handy so I put one directly on the back of the gear sleeve post to try it.

The spool clears the magnet while it is centered, although it starts to touch/rub with approx 1/3 of a turn of the bearing cup towards the right. I haven't magged a reel before, but if having the magnet close to the spool is better, this is pretty close.  

Mike

In your photo, what is the purpose the the C-Clip on that reel ?

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

mhc

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 12, 2017, 10:41:30 AM
Mike - The closer a magnet is the more breaking is generated. The grade of the magnet also has an effect. Typically rare earth magnets (neodymium) come in 3 grades N38, N42 and N50 - the higher the number the better the performance. You will also find that thicker magnets generate more power.
Thanks Tiddlerbasher, that explains why it makes sense to install the magnets on the tail plate where there is more room for adjustment. You can stack thinner magnets or use different thicknesses to alter the distance from the spool as well as add or remove magnets. Putting a single magnet on the gear sleeve post is quick and easy but limited with adjustment.

Looks like Rothmar2 has got your question covered Dave.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Hey folks I forgot this was my thread... buddy never moved on this, but some great inputs here.  I love my Squidders and Tom's kits are outstanding. No surprise there. Mike and Chris doing clean work down there.

I gotta go see Dave's arsenal. I think he is about 40 mins from me.

Rothmar2

Mike deserves all the credit with the extra squidder dog, he has come up with and executed the concept so far.
I hope to help refine it a little soon, as I have been gifted a squidder kit from Tom H recently, and will get a thread going on that as soon as I get time to make a start on it. (Many thanks Tom!) I'm getting close to finishing another one of Mikes ideas, that he has asked me to help him with, hope to show that to you within the next couple of weeks.
Will definately be referencing this thread to mag my squidder when the time comes.