I NEED ADVICE ABOUT ULTRA SONIC CLEANERS

Started by Dominick, May 09, 2016, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi everyone.  I ordered an ultra sonic cleaner which should be here this week.  I am a newbie when it comes to this manner of cleaning.  My question is a general one.  What are the things I need to know?  Warnings-do or don't.  Generally how to.  May I put a whole reel in the cleaner without taking it apart?  Will the cleaner affect the plastic plates?  That kind of thing.  Also how does one clean the silverware without ruining them.  The cleaner has a built in heater and timer.  I will read the instruction manual but I expect that the AT members that use an ultra sonic cleaner will have some advice.  Come on load me up with information.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Hi Dominick --

You may get a few different opinions ranging from exotic cleaning mixes to combinations to multiple step processes to just use a toothbrush and kerosene etc...

This is just the way I do it for 90% of jobs --

Assuming you bought a professional model with enough power electronically to get the job done -- SS tub, not plastic -- heat not needed, just another something to go out. 

I just use plain water in the reservoir -- then 2 or 3 wide mouth glass or plastic jars inside the unit.

This way I am not wasting expensive cleaning supplies.  Just use a second hand pasta collander set to strain the mix and parts into (SS is best).  Then just pour the bottom pan with the cleaning solution back into the wide mouth jar.  It is easy to get 15 cleanings or so -- without changing the mix -- depending on how bad the reels are.

If they are really bad and crudded up or stupidly greased inside -- I wipe the parts as best I can -- then let them soak in Lacquer thinner or mineral spirits for an hour, or so -- before using the US cleaner.

Only two solutions I use in the jars are simple green cut 50/50 water to SG.

Other jar gets Zep Industrial Purple HD cleaner also cut 50/50.  Keep your skin away from the purple -- no issues with the SG.

After a 8 to 12 minute cleaning cycle -- just drop the parts into a fresh, warm water bath in a plastic pan.

Using a toothbrush to get off any stray clinging grease -- just rinse each part and lay on a paper towel to dry.

You must take the reel completely apart.

Got to be careful with the purple on aluminum parts, not on bakelite or plastics, not on painted parts, etc..

SG is OK for everything -- except sometimes aluminum parts or pot metal parts turn black if left in too long.

Anodized parts are OK in SG if not left in too long -- never purple on these.

An Ultrasonic Cleaner, if used wisely -- will save you time, and your parts will come out cleaner inside every nook and cranny -- still may need little extra polishing if really bad.  But as a rule, for production servicing -- the US cleaner does most anything needed very well.

You probably have Simple Green -- and you can get the purple Zep at most hardware stores like Lowes or HD.

Others will chime in with other techniques -- this is only one.

Good luck, and happy cleaning.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Don't run it without liquid in the pan.  I don't know what the lower limit is though.  Maybe half full??  Without the mass of the liquid to slow it down the vibrator will shake itself to death.

I'm on my second small one (about a liter) and break the reel down enough to expose all the stuff and get everything to fit in the small pan.  Add about 25% S. Green, run it for 15 minutes, decant off the liquid and refill with freshwater a couple of times, then run it again for 15 minutes to shake the S.Green out of he crevices. 

To clean small metallic stuff like bearings in straight acetone I rest the pan salvaged from the broken unit on the lip of the replacement unit.  It vibrates well and only uses a few milliliters of acetone  Sort of like Fred's bottle technique but more redneck.

-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I use a small 3L cleaner with heater.
x2 what Fred said.
I use one additional step:
Small glass jar with screw top - 1/2 filled with IPA (99% pure) this is for bearings and small intricate parts.
If the bearings have been lubed with a heavy grease I also use some heat (50-55° C).
All other parts get diluted washing-up liquid (or SG).
Glass containers seem to work better than plastic ones.

Don't forget the wife's jewellery (not pearls :o) for extra Browny points.

Dominick

So far so good.  Thanks guys.  I'm still waiting for the unit to come.  I'll post my results.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on May 10, 2016, 06:24:34 PM
So far so good.  Thanks guys.  I'm still waiting for the unit to come.  I'll post my results.  Dominick
Paisa' what are you using that ultra sonic cleaner for, your feet so you could make some vino?   ::)... ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on May 10, 2016, 06:24:34 PM

Dominick, there must be a better way to clean your dentures.  :D :D Around here we use pine cone shavings ;) ;)

Fred is the King of ultra sonic and with his help your learning curve will be much smaller.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

handi2

50/50 Simple Green and water. If you don't degrease the parts the mix won't last as long and doesn't work as well.

I found that when the mix is new and clean the brass, chrome, steel parts come out clean and shiny. No dark colored brass. At first I wasn't washing off the kerosine/gunk cleaner degreaser mix very well before putting the parts in the US cleaner. After a while I was getting the dark colored brass parts.

I have run corroded spools in the cleaner for 30 minutes and the corrosion rubs right off.

I found the collanders needed at Amazon along with "small parts baskets" in SS.  They have parts holders made to throw in the cleaner so nothing gets lost.

I haven't ruined any parts yet and have put everything in that mix. All metals, plastics, rubber, and on.

When I'm doing bait casting reels I take the sides off, remove the bearings, and throw it all in the cleaner. Even the filthy cast control knobs come out like new.

I use these to put small parts in as I take the reel http://www.amazon.com/FindingKing-JT295C-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Basket/dp/B0011GIM16/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1462928120&sr=8-7&keywords=parts+cleaner+basket
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

erikpowell

Fred pulls together a post like that from on the Road!  Boom  8)
That Subaru must have Bluetooth  ;D

Bula Dom,
I learned Fred's same technique. The few times I really need a US, I take it to my diveshop buddy. He insists on Fred's same method.
One day I hope to have my own.

Cheers Dom

Tiddlerbasher

Dominick - My 3L US is from the exact same range - what can I say it works fine :)

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

erikpowell

Dom, you must have bought the last one!  Sold Out  :o

That's the first i've seen a unit that large for so cheap. Looks like a pretty good deal.
I will think about one for the future.

erikpowell

Quote from: handi2 on May 11, 2016, 02:15:31 PM
Same 2 I have...

Bula Keith,

So you'd recommend this model?

Can you tell me what the power input is for these? or it's max draw?
Here in Fiji I'd have to run it off a step-down transformer 240-110.
I have 500, 1000, and 2000 watt transformers that run most US tools.
Thanks!

handi2

This may not be the same seller but it's the same unit.

100-120V 50/60HZ

No amp rating but do the volts/total watts and get the amps.

200 Watts Heating
180 Watts `Ultrasonic Power

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainless-Steel-6-L-Liter-Industry-Heated-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-w-Timer-/311013126895?hash=item4869d3b2ef:g:~mwAAOxyNo9Sq~MI
Gulf Breeze, FL