Navarre 2016

Started by Shark Hunter, May 11, 2016, 04:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My boy Mike showed up yesterday with his wife Allie. Good to spend time with them. We surf fished for a couple hours in the evening. I was using sand fleas and frozen as well as live shrimp.
Mike tossed only artificials. Nothing, not even a strike or nibble. I am really starting to think the dredges have the fish freaked out.
There is 100' of extra beach now.
Man, I'm getting Fat! Me and my Wife Teri.
It wasn't a total loss, My Youngest boy Dustin cleaned up on the shells!
Time to switch up the game plan. Mike and the ladies headed out to chicken bone in Pensacola this morning, so they could do some paddleboarding and Mike can fish. Me and Dustin are hitting the sound side here in Navarre. We need to start catching something.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice pics bud, keep those lines in the water, it's the only way.
Dustin got himself a nice collection of shells, looks like he's enjoying the trip the most.
You're on the beach with your family and I'm working, I say you're doing good ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Just an update. Mike caught a nice Ladyfish on poppers and he hooked into something that just ran until it popped the leader. He was fishing a Battle 3000 I believe. Probably a Red or Shark.
Nothing wanted my Shrimp on the Sound Side.
We had a late lunch and headed back to Pensacola with the Heavy Equipment.
Dropped some nice Ray Steaks about 300 to 400 yards out right before sunset.
Two 12/0's out ready for action.
Unfortunately, It ended up just like before. Had a few clicks, but no commit.
We ran out fresh again about 10pm, with the same results.
The biting bugs came out as well and I called it about midnight. 40% Deet didn't phase them.
I only have one more day here and I think my dream of a 10 footer is going to have to wait.
I Think it was a combination of the weather and the conditions.
We fished every part of the area with a bait Variety I haven't had available before. It just wasn't in the cards.
It will make it that much sweeter. ;)
If nothing else, This was one of the most relaxing Vacations I have had.
Good Food, Family and Relaxation.
We got pounded with Heavy Rain and Storms last night into Late afternoon today.
Life is Good!

twotone

Good reading. Always good to be on RR.
twotone

RowdyW

Daron, maybe it's time to get on a boat out to the oil rigs. You have the hardware for it. Time to chase a real monster strapped into a chair with that Everol.

cbar45

Daron, two nights ago I was out fishing on the jetty, doing the evening's bugs-and-termite-dance--not getting a single bite..;)

Enjoyed your write-up and photos here.

Quality time with friends and and family, is what it's all about.

Chad

ChileRelleno

Dang'it Daron, sucks to hear that the skunk got ya.
If you're planning a dedicated fishing trip later in the year please give me a heads up.
If I have some vacation time left, I'm up for putting in some serious time on the beach getting after some big'uns.
Noon till Midnite kind of time.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

I got to spend a lot of Quality Time with my boy, Dustin. Something that gets neglected at home because I'm always working.
I could have fished more, but Vacation isn't about me being away from the family. I try to do things we all like. Unfortunately He doesn't have the patience for fishing.
Out of the 13 days I was there, I only took the kayak off the truck twice. Once with you and Robin and once with Mike.
Both with about 7 hours of Shark time. Surf fished for about 10 more.
I have no regrets. My total time fishing was only about 24 hours.
I really wanted to do an all nighter, but when you are getting chewed up by bugs, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
They were terrible at Chicken Bone. I still have welps.
Yesterday, I had a very rewarding encounter with Dustin. He is Autistic and has a problem with open spaces like parking lots and the like. You have to hold his hand or he will freeze up.
He wanted a newspaper and a soda from the Circle K. I pulled up at the very edge of the lot and he said "I'll be right back".
He jumped out of the truck and walked right in and right out all by himself. I couldn't believe it! :o
I knew right then, our last day was going to spent shelling. He earned it. ;)
Life is Good!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Beautiful story Daron.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Daren that was a heart felt story.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Good Man, Daron --

We all think we have plenty of time that we will spend with our loved ones -- until the time passes away -- then it is too late.

Dustin will always treasure and remember the good times with Dad -- and your memories will never go away.

But they need to be made first --

There are more important things than reels and fishing.

Our spouses, our kids, our families, our friends.

And none of these qualities can be truly bought for any amount of money -- they are priceless -- because the purchase price is our time, love, sharing, and commitment.

Dustin is a lucky fellow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ChileRelleno

Daron, count your blessings with Dustin and mark those milestones.
He is magnitudes ahead of my 17 yr'ol eldest son Ammon and his level of autism.
Dustin's communication is very good, he blew me away when he spoke up about not touching firearms when I inquired about a safe place to leave my pistol at the condo. You're doing a great job from what little I see, and that is all we can do as fathers.
Lol, Nate was talking about Dustin's shell collection to his sister the next day.

I guess you can be glad that he isn't a neural normal teenage young man and having to deal with him sneaking beers and his stash of pron mags.  ;)

Family always comes first.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Thank you all for the Kudo's. Living with a special needs child has its challenges.
I couldn't do it without my Wife. She is truly a godsend. Dustin is 23, but he acts like he is 8.
He has a memory sharp as a tack, but has a meltdown once in a while.
Like you said John, You can only do the best you can do.
This Vacation was a real success for me, even though I didn't have any fish to show.
I'm shooting for a week in September. I need to get with Mike on this, but this will be a Men only fishing trip.
No going out to eat, no shell hunting. Just fish. I have a nice little stash of bait now thanks to Keith and Robin.
I bought a Coleman Extreme 120 Quart cooler at Wal-Mart last year.
I bought Eight ten pound bags of Ice Saturday. Put four bags in, then 40 lbs of bait, then the other four.
I got home just a little while ago, after 30 hours, It was a solid cube of ice. I had to take a hatchet to it to get to the bait.
A Hammer wouldn't do it. For less than 60 bucks. This cooler is well worth the money.
Problem is, with it being so big, I'm sure you would break the handles if you tried to pick it up full.
Life is Good!

handi2

Daron as you know I like talking with your son. He is very smart in my book. He is also very polite and caring.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Steve-O

Great thread, Daron.

Something about shelling that levels the playing field no matter how young, old or condition...it turns us all into kids hunting for treasure. ;D

A follow up to finding the treasure is identifying the finds. I sure love finding the Olives and Dustin found quite a haul!

http://www.iloveshelling.com/blog/seashell-identification/

Steve