Penn 750SS

Started by Alto Mare, May 14, 2016, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I'm customizing a couple of reels for a friend here and run into a small issue that I should mention.
The spool shaft on the early 750SS models will not accept Bryan's ultimate Upgrades

You could make those work by sanding down the shaft, I simply replaced it with the later model.
Also, the rotor was showing rub marks, not deep, but were there.

I checked Motive Fabrication's dogs compared to the stock dogs. Adam's dogs were .10mm thicker, not bad, but close enough to cause the rubbing.
I can't confirm 100%, I did not have this reel prior to the rubbing. I just wanted to put it out there.

This one reads 2.57mm...sorry, bad pic

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

My first batch of the titanium a/r kits were on the high side of the allowable thickness on the reel I used for prototype and test fitting.  The material was oversize, even after exchanging it twice.  I had to hand file every one to so they wouldnt bind when the screw was tightened. 

My current ones measure 2.355 mm thick, so there should be no issues there. 

Alto Mare

Cool Adam, I sanded them down a little, it didn't take much.
These are great kits, do you still have some?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 14, 2016, 08:01:05 PM
Cool Adam, I sanded them down a little, it didn't take much.
These are great kits, do you still have some?

I have plenty of the dogs and ratchets.  I dont have springs for the 7500ss/8500ss, or for the 9500ss at the moment though.  The 750ss/850ss kits are available on my website, and if anyone wants to take a shot at making their own springs for the others, Ill be happy to include some of the spring wire with the kit. 

Bryan Young

Thanks for the feedback Sal. May I borrow the older shaft for measurement?  I want to compare it with my references. I may be able to make adjustments in my next run of washers when I run out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D