Senator 9/0 drag question

Started by Lunker Larry, May 14, 2016, 10:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Don't see these reels where I live. Been doing a bunch of muskie and spinner reels for some Muskies Canada guys in New Brunswick and was asked if I do Penn reels. I said sure (smaller ones the lake trout guys use). Got this behemoth in the mail. He must use it for tuna.
Anyway, my question is the drag stack correct? I laid it out as it came out but the two metal washers on the top of the stack got me to question it. There is a felt washer under that big washer (set of 3 parts)under the laid out stack. Someone was in this reel before so I just want to make sure. I cannot find a schematic for this reel either so if anyone can point me to it I'd appreciate it.
thanks for your time.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

You have it right for that reel. The extra metal washer on top is used for spacing. It must be an old reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

That was quick. thanks for the reply.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Aiala

Here's your schematic, courtesy of Scott's:  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/115l.pdf

Have fun! The 9/0 is a terrific oldie but goodie.   ;)

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

RowdyW

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 14, 2016, 10:42:36 PM
Don't see these reels where I live. Been doing a bunch of muskie and spinner reels for some Muskies Canada guys in New Brunswick and was asked if I do Penn reels. I said sure (smaller ones the lake trout guys use). Got this behemoth in the mail. He must use it for tuna.
Anyway, my question is the drag stack correct? I laid it out as it came out but the two metal washers on the top of the stack got me to question it. There is a felt washer under that big washer (set of 3 parts)under the laid out stack. Someone was in this reel before so I just want to make sure. I cannot find a schematic for this reel either so if anyone can point me to it I'd appreciate it.
thanks for your time.

Don't forget to give the CF washers a coat of Cal's drag grease. The ones you are showing look dry.         Rudy

Lunker Larry

Thanks for the schematic Aiala. So the 115 is the same reel. No wonder I couldn't find it.
I did grease the CF with Cals.

got the reel together and it is smooth as silk but, there is a bit of lateral sloppiness I noticed. Is that normal for these reels?

RowdyW

That lateral movement is normal. If it bothers you just place a .005 to .010" shim under the gear sleeve. Really not neccessery though.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 14, 2016, 11:29:51 PM
bit of lateral sloppiness I noticed. Is that normal for these reels?

This bothers me too. I try to shim it. My problem is that it takes me 30 minutes to find the right shim configuration. Maybe I'm too anal as most customers will not even notice or care.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

Thanks for the info on shimming it up. Like Bryan said, most customers don't even notice or care. I used to be very fussy and found most don't appreciate the difference (after me spending too much time on these things) so unless it is an easy and quick fix or they point the problem out, I don't worry about it. Most customers just give the handle a few turns and they're on their merry way.

Thanks all for the help.

Alto Mare

Most of us like the gear sleeve to be tight, but a hint of sideway play is a good thing on those, especially with the stainless steel sleeves.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.