Daiwa 153 HSTLA

Started by Donnelly, March 05, 2011, 11:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i've slipped drag washers underneath some daiwa drag stacks before.  it just depends on how much clearance you have.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnelly

Sorry...I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get back to here. This is very good info. I would think the tolerances on this reel would not allow for a washer under the gear and as Dawn describes it may even interfere with the gear underneath.

So to summarize...we think it might be worth it to give a set of carbontex a try as they may increase the maximum drag weight a little? We all agree carbontex is a better drag material but other than a complete failure, and subsequent need to replace the washers, why else would I need to upgrade?

oldtrackster

Quote from: Donnelly on March 13, 2011, 12:57:22 PM
Sorry...I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get back to here. This is very good info. I would think the tolerances on this reel would not allow for a washer under the gear and as Dawn describes it may even interfere with the gear underneath.

So to summarize...we think it might be worth it to give a set of carbontex a try as they may increase the maximum drag weight a little? We all agree carbontex is a better drag material but other than a complete failure, and subsequent need to replace the washers, why else would I need to upgrade?

I am going to put carbons on all my reels eventually.  it's better material that lasts much longer and doesn't get sticky and I enjoy tinkering between fishing trips and the cost is minimal.  Have you tested the drags on a scale to see what you are getting?  It seems a 2 or 3 pound fish might get some drag on occasion, but shouldn't pull line easy.  I would not be surprised if the reel does not get 8.8 from the factory as advertised.  It seems drag ratings are often inflated.  Mr. Tani might be able to chime in with the norm for factory drag weights.
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

alantani

the upgrade is often not to increase the drag range.  often it is to avoid sticking.  there are usually other things (gears, drive shafts) that will give out first and these problems limit the functional drag of a reel.   for instance, you can get 25 pounds of drag out of a 4/0 senator 113h, but that will shred the gears!  8 pounds in a jigmaster will round off the gear sleeve.  and so on.  it's not all just about more drag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

And that's another great example why...... you're the man!  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.