Daiwa 153 HSTLA

Started by Donnelly, March 05, 2011, 11:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnelly

The factory drag washers on these are said to produce 8.8 lbs. by Daiwa. If I upgrade to Carbontex from Smoothdrag does anyone know how much the drag poundage will change?

Thanks for any info.

alantani

should be the same.  i think these reels has carbon fiber already.  check under the main gear, though.  often, they take short cuts there.  alan

http://www.deloscustomtackleshack.com/reels/daiwaadvantageHSTA.htm

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldtrackster

Quote from: Donnelly on March 05, 2011, 11:42:15 PM
The factory drag washers on these are said to produce 8.8 lbs. by Daiwa. If I upgrade to Carbontex from Smoothdrag does anyone know how much the drag poundage will change?

Thanks for any info.

First let me tell you I have only installed two sets of carbontex the second only minutes ago on my 153hsta.  I don't own digital scales so my accuracy could be way off.  I didn't test the drag to see if it genuinely produced 8.8 out of the box.  After installing smooothdrag it did produce ~8.8 so it would seem you will not gain much in drag.  If Mr. Tani is correct (he usually is) this would make sense.  I will say the factory drags I removed looked much different and tore easily and suspect this means felt, but I lack the knowledge to know for sure and I wasn't about to see how easy or difficult it was to tear my new carbontex!  I could be talking right out my backside, but just trying to help.  If nothing else it will give you something to do on late Saturday nights.  Its an awesome little reel, I need a left hand one now.

There is a tutorial for changing out the drag washers on the 153hsta in the daiwa forum, I found it to be very helpful.
Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

alantani

buggers!  i thought this meant carbon fiber!  >:(

Seven-Disc Super Drag Wet drag system with Daiwa's exclusive fiber composite and stainless steel washers for super-smooth fish control

oldtrackster

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2011, 06:13:46 AM
buggers!  i thought this meant carbon fiber!  >:(

Seven-Disc Super Drag Wet drag system with Daiwa's exclusive fiber composite and stainless steel washers for super-smooth fish control

Does this mean from my description you believe they are not carbontex?  sorry for the silly question I am just trying to learn.  They were wet to the point of leaving a finger print like described by smooothdrag.  Whatever daiwa put on them seemed to be just a bit thinner than the cals grease.

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey

alantani

they were not carbon fiber and changing them out to carbontex was the right thing to do.  carbon fiber does not tear.......

Donnelly

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. Now I guess I have to find out if I'm really getting the 8.8 lbs. the factory quotes. If I am, I guess there's no sense changing them unless you guys know differently.

I have 16 HSTLA's and a couple of them I use for jigs didn't seem to be giving me much drag last year. Even a 2 and half or 3 pound bass was pulling drag pretty easily even with the drag cranked all the way down.

alantani

greased carbon fiber is the standard.  nothing works better.  nothing is even close!

Dawn

The factory drags are not carbon fiber. It's some kind of black papery stuff.  I'm not sure what they call it.
Also these reels don't have a washer under the gear.

Dawn
Dawn

oldtrackster

Quote from: Dawn on March 07, 2011, 06:04:30 PM
The factory drags are not carbon fiber. It's some kind of black papery stuff.  I'm not sure what they call it.
Also these reels don't have a washer under the gear.

Dawn

I have two questions.

Mr. Tani the site you linked has a very good price on the left hand model currently and that is just my cup of tea.  Have you used this site/company before?  Or can you speak to their legitamcy?

Ms. Dawn its very awe inspiring to speak to someone as famous as you  ;D.  The "washer under the gear" statement obviously should mean something to me, but I do not know what it means.  Would you are someone please explain the signifigance of not having a washer there?

alantani

never used that site before.  i just pulled it up for the photos. 

for the drag washer, a carbon fiber drag washer underneath the gear gives the best performance.  plain washers can stick. 

oldtrackster

Quote from: alantani on March 07, 2011, 07:39:46 PM
never used that site before.  i just pulled it up for the photos. 

for the drag washer, a carbon fiber drag washer underneath the gear gives the best performance.  plain washers can stick. 

So when I look at the photo above.  The brass piece (the gear) and the next washer is metal.  A better design would be the brass gear a carbon washer then the metal washer thus never allowing two pieces of metal to be against each other anywhere in the drag stack?

Adding a carbon here when the design was not made that way would probably foul the performance because the height of the drag stack would be changed?

Dawn

Hi

I'm only famous in certain circles  ;D, but thank you.

Most reels do have some sort of spacer washer right under the gear, usually some sort of plastic or phenolic, as you noted it keeps metal from touching metal.
The TDZ reels don't have one there.  I haven't ever heard of anybody putting one in, but if it could be done it would probably be better.
I don't actually know how the configuration is under the gear.

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

there still might be room.  some of dawn's drag washers are pretty thin.  you can get thin like that with a high quality weave.  alan

Dawn

There's a little gear under the big gear in these reels.  Don't know if a washer under there would work. 

Dawn